cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whites photographed.turn out pale green

opal2324
Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

reble 1000d.Have played with WB.in 36 different settings,auto and all selections,even to grid and custom with neutral card.Exposure and light variances.From tripod/off camera flash thru light box to soft existing light.I don't understand why?When a mobile phone records white to my satisfaction. For some reason the 1000d records white as soft pastel green.Many thanks.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

I guess we'll need a firmware update then, to add "LED" to e menu of canned white balance settings?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
I guess we'll need a firmware update then, to add "LED" to e menu of canned white balance settings?

Maybe not. My impression is that LEDs are much closer to having a sensible color temperature than fluorescents (including CFs) are. In my office at work I have a CF desk lamp and a pole lamp with three 8W(!) LED spotlights. To my eyes, the LEDs are a fair approximation of 60W tungstens, while the light from the desk lamp looks greenish. I don't recall having a chance to do a photo shoot in LED light, but I'd be surprised if it isn't more tractable than any form of fluorescent light.

It occurs to me that they just renovated our City Council Chamber, and I'll bet it now has LED lights. So I may have a chance to test my theory sooner rather than later. Even if the Chamber doesn't have LEDs, it'll be better than it was before. The old lighting was godawful, especially in the evening when there's little or no light from the windows. I sometimes had to ask for the TV lights, even when the event wasn't being televised.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:

Maybe not. My impression is that LEDs are much closer to having a sensible color temperature than fluorescents (including CFs) are. In my office at work I have a CF desk lamp and a pole lamp with three 8W(!) LED spotlights. To my eyes, the LEDs are a fair approximation of 60W tungstens, while the light from the desk lamp looks greenish. I don't recall having a chance to do a photo shoot in LED light, but I'd be surprised if it isn't more tractable than any form of fluorescent light.

Absolutely.  But LEDs can come in all kinds of color.  I've shot a fair amount of architectural work where they use daylight colored LEDs, and it balances quite well with flash.  Haven't had any issue with it at all.  In living areas they usually use a warmer version, which is closer to tungsten, but not as orange.  I rather like it, and it balances with other light better than tungsten.  Whatever color it is, so long as it's not fluorescent and doesn't vary as much as they do, I'll be happy.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:
Funny how things change. Years ago it seemed like orange color casts were a bigger problem than today, because tho old fashioned light bulbs were matching the tungsten WB setting. Nowadays the green color casts are more often the problem since current bulbs have gone compact fluorescent.

CFs will soon be a thing of the past, now that the prices of LED bulbs are falling.

And good riddance.

I've been waiting for those LED prices to fall a bit more before biting the bullet and doing all the recessed lighting in my house.  I'm sick of burning through those R20 bulbs.

ezpop
Rising Star

try custom white balance or go to WB bracketing and make adjustment according. read the manual for details

Go to color trims part of the user guide.. I think it works on your camera as well.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/7d/users-guide/

Announcements