cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whites photographed.turn out pale green

opal2324
Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

reble 1000d.Have played with WB.in 36 different settings,auto and all selections,even to grid and custom with neutral card.Exposure and light variances.From tripod/off camera flash thru light box to soft existing light.I don't understand why?When a mobile phone records white to my satisfaction. For some reason the 1000d records white as soft pastel green.Many thanks.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

ScottyP
Authority
What camera?
Sounds like a white balance issue.
The auto white balance may fail to give correct results.
If you shoot RAW you have great latitude to adjust WB in post on the computer. If you shoot JPG you have less ability to adjust it afterward so it is more important to get it right in camera.
If you move into fluorescent lighting switch your WB to fluorescent if the LCD shows the auto WB is giving a bad color cast. There are settings for sunny cloudy shady tungsten flash etc.
personally this is a major reason I shoot RAW. I hate messing with this and frequently forget to do it or I guess wrong on what setting is right.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Most likely White Balance, as Scotty said. Traditional Fluorescent lights are actually green, and will turn skin a sickly color if you don't account for it with WB.

reble 1000d.Have played with WB.in 36 different settings,auto and all selections,even to grid and custom with neutral card.Exposure and light variances.From tripod/off camera flash thru light box to soft existing light.I don't understand why?When a mobile phone records white to my satisfaction. For some reason the 1000d records white as soft pastel green.Many thanks.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What camera?  I'll bet if you do a reset, this will correct itself.  Depending on which camera, go into the menu and "Clear all settings".

Or, remove all the batteries in the camera over night.  Buy a brand new memory card and formate it with the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

1000d.Have cleared all settings.Removed battery.Tried 36 tests with WB,variations,Tried tests with exposures tests in differnt light sources.All tests have been in manual.I don't play with RAW as I like to get a result from the camera not a pc.Many thanks.

Can you show us a photo with this issue?  (Please make sure the EXIF data is intact.)

Does it show up green on the camera LCD or the computer screen?  I have seen issues where the LCD has a color cast even when the images are fine on the computer.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

opal2324,

Did the Rebel XS ever make jpgs the way you think it should?  At least as good as you phone?  You did the reset?  You got a brand new memory card? You formatted it with the XS?

If, yes, to these, than the camera needs service.  And I am afraid if it indeed does, as I now suspect, it will likely cost more than the camera is worth.

Two points I may have picked up on, one is, RAW is not for everybody.  I believe it is the way to go but I understand not everbody wants or needs the extra quality or steps involved.  And second, if you are/were happy with cell phone pictures, possibily you should just use it.  That isn't bad, it is just they way it is.  As, their needs are not the same as folks with DSLR's.

Lastly, if you are just using the camera's LCD screen, that is not very good idea.  I know you don't want to involve more steps but in this situation you must.  You must confirm the 'greenish' whites are truly 'greenish'.  You can not do that with just the camera.  It may be that the LCD is the faulty component.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority
Funny how things change. Years ago it seemed like orange color casts were a bigger problem than today, because tho old fashioned light bulbs were matching the tungsten WB setting. Nowadays the green color casts are more often the problem since current bulbs have gone compact fluorescent.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
Funny how things change. Years ago it seemed like orange color casts were a bigger problem than today, because tho old fashioned light bulbs were matching the tungsten WB setting. Nowadays the green color casts are more often the problem since current bulbs have gone compact fluorescent.

CFs will soon be a thing of the past, now that the prices of LED bulbs are falling.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements