cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when I transfer files from my SD to Computer, half are not playable by windows

jonsereds
Apprentice

Hello I new to canon dslr's . I picked up a T2i and have shot both jpe images and video, BUT, when I transfer the images the first half transfer ok ( from the SD Card) the second half I only get a icon with IMG_xxxx but no photo or video. Ive tried opening these files with a number of programs windows photo viewer, RealPlayer,Canons Imagebrowser, corel x9. No luck. When I used my Olympus EP-2 i had no issues. It is my understanding the Olmpus and Canon use a different file format for video, am I doing something wrong? 

I'm a long time slr film user, so the digital world is new to me. I couldent shoot video on my OM2 OM4 or contax 139, LOL, yes I'm a old man, any help out there???  Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

Sounds like they are RAW files (CR2). You need to install the DPP software from the Cd or DVD that came with the camera or download it from Canon Support. If they are indeed CR2 files they will have the same file number as your jpg's but the extension is .cr2 instead of .jpg

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for the reply, I have DPP and the canon EOS utility installed and I tried using DPP and had the same issue. I did not change the file output (jpeg to raw) in the camera wile I was shooting and when I look at properties of the files thay say they are jpeg. One thing I am going to try is a different SD card currrently I am using a micro SD with a adaptor I'm going to pick up a SD card and see if that makes a difference. I know its something simple that I am over looking.  Thanks

@jonsereds wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I have DPP and the canon EOS utility installed and I tried using DPP and had the same issue. I did not change the file output (jpeg to raw) in the camera wile I was shooting and when I look at properties of the files thay say they are jpeg. One thing I am going to try is a different SD card currrently I am using a micro SD with a adaptor I'm going to pick up a SD card and see if that makes a difference. I know its something simple that I am over looking.  Thanks

Never use micro-SD cards with the adapters.  Only use full-size cards in your camera.   The adapters are notoriously unreliable.  Only use the microSD cards in devices that use them directly, without an adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements