cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is an appropriate zoom lens for Canon Eos Rebel T4i?

wjorgensen
Apprentice

I am an amateur photographer interested in taking better nature and close-up shots- which lens, in the reasonable price category, should I choose?

Thanks

Winnie

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Hi Winnie... this really depends on the sort of "nature" you want to photograph.

If "nature" means birds... most birders tend to prefer lenses in a 400-500mm focal length range.  For example, Sigma makes a couple of 150-600mm zoom lenses that are quite popular.  Sigma's 150-600mm "C" (contemporary) lens is priced to be more affordable then their "S" version (sport).  (but the lower-priced "C" version is still nearly $1000).  

If "nature" is larger, faster, has sharper claws and teeth, and might think you'd be a good meal, then something a bit longer might be in order.

If "nature" is a scenic landscape, then usually you don't want a long zoom at all... often it's the shorter, wider, lenses that can take in more scenery that tend to be preferred.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you...very helpful

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"what is an appropriate zoom lens"

The reason your Rebel has removable lenses is the fact, there is no "appropriate" lens.  I am afraid you are in for several lenses to satisfy your requirements.  Do you have a main area of interest? The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a great way to start.  Main reason is its fast fixed aperture.  It has reasonably good IQ for its price point. It can focus to just about 14". Pretty close, not macro, mind you but still pretty good.  Another lens that will blend in well with the afore mentioned one is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens.

Moving up if birds and such are your interest the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens can't be beat.  Best bang for the buck Canon has.  Matter of fact this would make a fine camera bag for anybody!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BTW, the Sigma "C" could be a good choice but don't even consider the "S" version for a Rebel.  That lens is very heavy, very expensive and not be well suited to such a light camera.  It would require a tripod/monopod virtually 100% of the time to work well. 

Tamrom also makes a 150-600mm zoom lens that would work well on a Rebel.  The SIgma "C" and the Tammy are nearly identical so it is simply a matter of choice.  If it is important to you, the Tammy is more weather proof that the Siggy "C" is.  That means it can with stand a splash of rain.  Oh, but remember, the T4i can't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP
All good advice, but for close-up shots, you can't beat the EF-S 60 mm macro.
Announcements