cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade lenses for rebel xti

callrheu
Apprentice

I have a Rebel xti. I thought better to upgrade lenses before buy new camera body. Do L series lenses work effectively with xti?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

+1 for lenses before body.

Now, I don't know that I'd make a blanket statement that you need an L lens.  At least, not if you could have two non-L for the price of an L and greatly expand your range of glass.

What lenses do you have?  What kind of photography do you do/want to do?  Do you eventually want to move to full frame?

Answer those, then decide what to fill or replace.  If it's just replacing kit lens(es) then I'd recommend looking at something like the 18-55/2.8 or the 15-85.  The 24-105 L is a great lens and very cheap for an L, but the focal range isn't quite as convenient on a crop as a full frame.  The bonus though, is that if you ever decide to go FF then you have lenses that will work.

There's also non-L primes that are great, like the 100/2.8 macro, 85/1.8  or the 50/1.4.  Depends on what you're looking for.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

Absolutely. Good choice to go that route over another body in many cases.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

+1 for lenses before body.

Now, I don't know that I'd make a blanket statement that you need an L lens.  At least, not if you could have two non-L for the price of an L and greatly expand your range of glass.

What lenses do you have?  What kind of photography do you do/want to do?  Do you eventually want to move to full frame?

Answer those, then decide what to fill or replace.  If it's just replacing kit lens(es) then I'd recommend looking at something like the 18-55/2.8 or the 15-85.  The 24-105 L is a great lens and very cheap for an L, but the focal range isn't quite as convenient on a crop as a full frame.  The bonus though, is that if you ever decide to go FF then you have lenses that will work.

There's also non-L primes that are great, like the 100/2.8 macro, 85/1.8  or the 50/1.4.  Depends on what you're looking for.

Thanks. I will move up to a full frame. I'm deciding if by moving to higher quality lenses I may improve my picture quality while I buy some time for other Canon full frame choices. I currently have a Canon 35-80 0.4m and an EF 75-300 zoom IIIUSM lenses. I use them for some sport photography, outdoor scenes and general family pictures. I've noticed my pictures appear less sharp and less color than others photos (taken with newer cameras and more expensive lens)

callrheu
Apprentice

Thanks!

Neither of those can be considered "sport shooter" lenses nor are they as sharp as many L's & some of the more expensive consumer grade lenses from both Canon & 3rd party manufacturers. There are lots of 24-105 L's for sale out there thanks to the fact they can be bought as the kit lens in several body / lens packages.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

If a full frame body is in your future, go with "L" lenses. There is no since in buying lens twice.

The 24-105mm f4 is indeed a very good one to start with. I still have one of my XTi's and I use every lens I own on it. It can take some pretty darn good pictures.  I especially like a 35mm f2 lens on it. Very light convenient package. Goes with me everywhere.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

have you used the 70-200 lens on the XTi? thought that might be the next one to look at.

Announcements