cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t7i will not auto focus or manual focus, preventing the camera from taking pictures

Arceist_Justin
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS t7i Rebel and now all of a sudden, the camera will not auto focus nor will it take pictures. If I set it to the manual setting, adjusting the focus manually does nothing whatsoever! Everything on the screen is still a blur no matter how much I turn the focus dial on the lense. I am using the lense that came with the camera.

Another topic (for a different camera) suggested switching it from AF to MF and back to AF, but that is not working for me! The screen is still a complete blur and it will not auto focus or take pictures. It just shows a red box every time I try to take a picture

Does anybody know what the problem could be?

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The most popular camera kit lens with the T7i is the EF-S 18-55mm IS STM lens.  This lens uses a focus by wire system, which means the metering system must be active in order for the focus ring to be active.  In other words, if the viewfinder display is dark, then the lens ring will not seem to work.

If the lens is set to AF and will not take a photograph, then make sure you are not too close to the subject, and that you have more than sufficient ambient light.  If you set the camera dial to Green [A] mode, the camera should always take a picture outdoors on a bright sunny day.

If you have been experimenting with the camera, which we all do and frequently forget what we did, then resetting the camera back to factory defaults is always a good thing to try.  With the camera reset to a known state, then everything you read in the instruction manual is pretty accurate.  The camera is sophisticated enough that you can alter its’ behavior too the point where the instruction manual can become misleading.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have two options.

Reset the camera back to default and after that call Canon support 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements