cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t7i & off camera lights?!?

arobertsonphoto
Apprentice

Hey Hey! 

We have a t7i we are trying to use for a photobooth.  We're attempting to connect it to an AlienBee strobe with, with a hotshoe adapter and a cord. However, no matter what adapter or cord we use, the camera WILL NOT trigger the flash. 

The menu system shows this (below) when the hotshoe adapter is attached, AND when there is nothing attached. 

When I attach a flashpoint speedlight to the camera, it has no issues. I can access the menu, the flash fires, all is well. 

Please help! 

IMG_7465.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You don't have a center contact. You require an E-TTL flash that talks to the camera via the other 4 pins.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

If you have a Canon speedlite or compatible, you can use it to trigger the optical slave built into the strobe.  (I am assuming Alien Bee's have an optical trigger built in that allows them to fire based upon another flash firing and triggering them)

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Or even the cobra head flash.

kv,

Can you set the pop up internal T7 flash for manual mode so that it won't always do a pre-flash for the E-TTL system?  That exposure check flash would trigger the slaves before the regular full flash.  With the Speedlites in manual mode, you don't have the problem with the pre-flash triggering the slaves.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

You can with the T6S. But some flash triggers can ignore the pre-flash.

Announcements