cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t6i taking black pics through viewfinder but not live view

morganmarie0328
Apprentice

My t6i just started taking completely black pictures through the viewfinder while in all modes. When I turn on the live view and move my lens it works fine and takes great pics but I enjoy using the viewfinder more. I have tried adjusting the dioptric knob, which does nothing.  I know it cannot be my exposure because this happens while in auto mode also....

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Sounds like a stuck mirror or you have it in mirror lock up.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Yeah, it does sound like mirror lock up.  Powering down should reset it, though.  The camera could be in movie mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

it is not in movie mode, but how would I fix this? i have powered it off and on many times

i figured out how to turn on mirror lock up, so i turned it on and back off again and the issue is still there

@morganmarie0328 wrote:
i figured out how to turn on mirror lock up, so i turned it on and back off again and the issue is still there

Hmm.  You should contact Canon Support.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@kvbarkley wrote:

It's not a stuck mirror (in the down position), because that would also affect live view. It's not in mirror lockup, because that wouldn't result in a totally black picture. At worst it would be out of focus or incorrectly exposed.

So it must be that the mirror isn't flipping out of the way when the shutter button is pressed, even though it's free to move out of the way for live view. Since the mirror doesn't have to be cocked, I assume that the force that drives its motion is electrical. Which means it could be anything from a defective shutter button to a bad component on the motherboard. Definitely not a DIY fix.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

medinak1708
Apprentice

Im having the same issue. Did you ever find a solution? My mirror is working fine when i take the lens off, but it won't take the picture with the lense on viewfinder, but will take excellent pictures through the live view. 

Thanks!

Announcements