cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t5i kit lense

myname
Contributor

I was looking into buying a t5i, but the 18-55 kit lens, I found has a very short focus throw, but sense it done electronicly I was wondering if I can change it in the settings or with majic lantern.

11 REPLIES 11

myname
Contributor
I plan on using this mostly for video.

@myname wrote:
I plan on using this mostly for video.

Canon EF lenses are focused mechanically.  The 18-55mm kit lens does not focus electronically. 

If you are looking to use a DSLR mostly for video, then I advise investigating other features.  Does the camera have an audio input for an external microphone?  Can the camera perform autofocus in video mode?  How much control over the exposure does the camera allow in video mode?  What range of shutter speeds and ISO values available in video mode?  Can I control the aperture during video mode?  And on, and on.

Remember, a T5i is a still camera, first and foremost, which just happens be able to record short video clips.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If it's the STM version of the lens it is electronically focused. Even in manual focus mode the camera has to be powered on to focus. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Exacly my point so then can you controll how sensitive the focus ring is, if it's done electronicly?

@myname wrote:

Exacly my point so then can you controll how sensitive the focus ring is, if it's done electronicly?

Negative.  First and foremost, the lens is mechanically operated.  For lack of a better term, the lens is a "focus by wire", electro-mechanical system.  Turning the focus ring controls motors, which in turn control mechanical gears that move the lens elements.

While the sensitivity of the focus ring is electronically calibrated to cause the focusing control gears to turn at certain speeds, the sensitivty of the focus ring is fixed on this model.. The sensitivity of the ring is fixed, just as if it were turning a fixed gear.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

are there lenes that have that, or a longer focus throw in that price range, with image stabization?

"If it's the STM version of the lens it is electronically focused. Even in manual focus mode the camera has to be powered on to focus."

There may be gears in side the lens but it must have power to operate. It won't focus at all off of the camera or on it if the camera is turned off.  That is what John Hoffman meant.

Whether that makes any difference I don't know.  Magic Lantern will have no effect on this. It is the way the lens is made.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I was looking into buying a t5i ..."

IMHO, any Rebel makes a poor video camera.  If video is your main most thing, get a real video camera and not a DSLR.

Rebels are still cameras that do video. They are not video cameras that do stills.

It is one reason I never did or got into video.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm not talking about mechinaicly focused lenses I'm talking about lense that have a focus by wire ( as in turning the focus ring send a signal to focus then lens). going by some of these post I should make it clear that theres no reason it can't do what I'm asking if it dose I'm only asking if  it allows you to change it, as in did cannon make a way for setting this, or did majic lantern do it.

Announcements