cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t4i firmware bug

hvirla
Apprentice

My Rebel T4i often freezes in live view mode and I have to remove the battery to unlock it.

Is it a firmware problem?

22 REPLIES 22

Contact them by phone they will resolve yor issue. I had the exact same issue with my T4i and it was resolved after my camera was replaced. See thread here: http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/T4i-camera-completely-locking-up-in-the-ON-position/m-p/728...

Bob

"Cameras don't take pictures, photographers do."

I took my camera and stm lens to canon's service and repair. It turned out that there wasn't anything wronge with the camera itself but there was something wronge with the lens. Canon stated they made "electrical adjustments" to the lens board and that seemed to fix this issue. Haven't had a problem since.

@ghernandez8943 wrote:

I took my camera and stm lens to canon's service and repair. It turned out that there wasn't anything wronge with the camera itself but there was something wronge with the lens. Canon stated they made "electrical adjustments" to the lens board and that seemed to fix this issue. Haven't had a problem since.

Was your camera a T5i?  I'm leaning towards this being the problem on mine as well only because when I put the 55-250mm IS II on it's not crashing, even though this lens is quite stubborn on auto focus, and noisy!  I'm likely going to return the whole thing to the store and let them provide a replacement since I've only had it for a couple of days.  But, if it's just the lens I may ask for an advance replacement to see if that does the trick instead 🙂  Thanks!

I have the t4i with 18/135 STM kit. I know there's a firmware update for this issue but I can't say if it works or not. After canon repaired my lens it worked fine. A week later I did the firmware update and it worked same. You should definitely get your lens looked at. It should be under the warranty if you had it less than a year I think. I turned my camera in Friday and got it back Tuesday working as designed without any problems.

I did the software update for my T4i a month ago.  Received my 18-135 IS STM lens yesterday and tested it as follows:

5 minutes and 10 minutes of video with a Sandisk Ultra 16GB Class 10 memory card and repeated it with a 32GB card.  Had no issues.  Repeated the tests in the last hour today and no issues.  The 1.0.4 upgrade was easy to do just follow the instructions.  Only had the camera for 45 days and have used it alot all with no issues.  Still learning, but reading, learning and trying to stay ahead of the curve.

Keep shooting till it looks right!
T4i, 28-300 Tamron IS, 18-55 EF-S STM, 18-135 EF-S STM, Speedlight 580EX II 10-20 Sigma, Aftermarket BGA.

@Steviewonder1 wrote:

I did the software update for my T4i a month ago.  Received my 18-135 IS STM lens yesterday and tested it as follows:

5 minutes and 10 minutes of video with a Sandisk Ultra 16GB Class 10 memory card and repeated it with a 32GB card.  Had no issues.  Repeated the tests in the last hour today and no issues.  The 1.0.4 upgrade was easy to do just follow the instructions.  Only had the camera for 45 days and have used it alot all with no issues.  Still learning, but reading, learning and trying to stay ahead of the curve.

I wish it was as easy for me as a firmware upgrade, seeing as I have a T5i and not a T4i, there's no such thing.  However, I'm getting a replacement 18-135mm IS STM tomorrow and will know if it's the camera or lens at least...  Other than issues in Live View with the 18-135, the camera works great.

I got a replacement 18-135mm IS STM and the problem persisted, hence the camera seems defective, sigh.  Sent it back to the online store for a replacement and crossing fingers!!

Jason
Whiz

Hi everyone,

We have an update on this topic.  New EOS Rebel T4i firmware has just been released.  Firmware Version 1.0.4 offers performance improvements when shooting with certain lens models equipped with a stepping motor.  To learn more and download the update, click here.

Thank you.

I'm more than happy to deal with Canon. T4i is a fantastic camera and with the 1.0.4 update, there is not any crashing at all

After an intensive testing all day long with video, can say the bug was solved.

Canon for ever.

I'm having this exact issue on my brand new (a day old) T5i with 18-135 STM.  I'm returning it to the online store for a replacement... Very disapointed!

Announcements