cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t3i won't AF in low light NIGHTCLUBS anymore (using 550 ex)

vicdamonne
Apprentice

I do nightclub photography and I've had my t3i for about 2 years now and I use the 550 ex.  Recently the red light doesn't blink when I try to get a focus in low light using the kit lens.

I know the red light does work because I used it with a trigger and I've put the flash on a 7D and it works fine.  In order to get a focus now in low light, I have to use a secondary video light for the camera to focus.  The camera's AF works fine in regular light and in dim light- just not in a dark nightclub (but it used to).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Make sure your camera is set to "One Shot" AF as the assist light on the flash does not work if the camera is in "AI Servo" AF. 

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

hsbn
Whiz
Check to see if Focus Assist with External Flash has been turned off or not.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Make sure your camera is set to "One Shot" AF as the assist light on the flash does not work if the camera is in "AI Servo" AF. 

Mike Sowsun

WOW.. Thanx Mike.  I don't know HOW the camera got switch to AI SERVO (I don't even know what that means...lol)

Camera is working PERFECTLY now- no more blinding people in the club with my extra bright video light to get a focus.

Thanx

Announcements