cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t3i canon when set to flash mode manual the flash out put level only goes to 1/4 power or more.

plow
Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mykolas
Authority

Plow,

I would like to gather some more information from you to help me determine what is causing this.

1. Are you using an external flash or are you using the built-in flash?
  2. If you are using an external flash, what model flash are you using?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

I think it might be a good idea to FULLY explain what you need answered. The more information people supply when asking for help the easier it becomes to get to the heart of the problem & hopefully solve it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I use a rebel t3i. whats your question. like cicopo said, what is the specific question you have?

Thanks

Ameya

Earlier i posted that when i set the camera to flash settings, using the built in flash,

The flash output will not go past 1/4 power to 1/2 power. I'm trying to explain as best as i can, so here it goes again. The setting starts at Flash control, then built in flash setting then go to cust wireless then to flash modeE-TTL ll then go to manual which is under E-TTl ll then you will be at wireless Function with a picture of two flashes.Click on the two flashes,the external and built in flash. Scroll down to flash output with the picture of the flash on top of the camera, this is called flash output , here is where i have a problem. The camera will go from 1/4 output to 1/128 output, but will not go past 1/4 to 1/2. anybody with this camera should be able to see if there's works or not. not sure if the camera has a problem  or that is the way they made it. the two guys at the camera store say that's the way canon made it. I have not really gotten an answer from the pros on this site either, but maybe that is my fault for not explaning the problem better. Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, Plow,

I have a T3i, and I am following your calls through the menus. 

Mine works fine.  One thing that threw me for a minute was that you don't use the scroll wheel to adjust the setting. 

You do press the SET button, and you then use the Left and Right arrows on the sides of the SET button to adjust your flash output lower.  Mine slid right on down to 1/128th, and it works on all the settings in-between.

Is this on point for what  you were looking for?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Plow,

Are you just using the built-in flash, or are you trying to set up external flash or flash groups or something? 

If you are just trying to dial back or increase the exposure of your fill light, the easy way to do that is with Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC).  You select that in the Quick menu when the flash is up, and then you just dial in an increased flash level or a decreased flash level, in 1/3 stop increments. 

Using manual flash levels (1/2, 1/4, 1/128, etc.) would be for controlling external off-camera flashes.  Like a Strobist does.  You dial the power on the external flashes up or down, and you move the flash stand closer or farther from the subject to control the effect.  But the built-in flash on your camera is best adjusted using the ETTL with Flash Exposure Compensation.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

I'm using the built in flash.

Hello Scott you are getting right to the point, cand you set it at 1/2 power output, i cannot, it won't go past 1/4 output. Maybe there is something wrong with my camera.

Hello Scott yes you are right on. but can you make the setting go to 1/2

Yes, 1/2, 1/4, whatever fraction.

But why would you want to do it that way instead of with 1/3 stops of FEC?

Scott

Announcements