cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t3i canon when set to flash mode manual the flash out put level only goes to 1/4 power or more.

plow
Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mykolas
Authority

Plow,

I would like to gather some more information from you to help me determine what is causing this.

1. Are you using an external flash or are you using the built-in flash?
  2. If you are using an external flash, what model flash are you using?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Mykolas
Authority

Plow,

I would like to gather some more information from you to help me determine what is causing this.

1. Are you using an external flash or are you using the built-in flash?
  2. If you are using an external flash, what model flash are you using?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ok i start at flash control,then go to built-in flash,setting then to flash mode e-ttl ll then to manual flash, then below manual flash you will see flash output it will have all the power settings to 128 -1/2 sec mine will not go past 1/4... does anyone know why? And if it did go past 1/4 ..then it would hit the half mark. it look like this on the viewer. 1/128 1/64..1/32..1/16..1/8..1/4..1/2

Hello again Plow,

The specifications for manual flash on this camera indicate that the camera is capable of using manual flash up to 1/1 power, so this is probably being limited by a setting in the camera. 

First, try resetting the flash settings by pressing the <INFO> button while you are in the [Built-in flash func. setting] menu.  If you are still unable to set manual flash higher than 1/4, try resetting all of the settings in the camera by selecting the [Clear Settings] option in the [Setup #3] tab.

Are you now able to select manual flash power settings higher than 1/4?

Hello Mike

Tried to reset everything and it still will not go past 1/4 it will go the other way down to 1/128 power setting but not past 1/4. Remember we are talking about the flash output power, for the built in flash. I took it back to the camera store were i bought it and they were kind of cluelss about the whole situation, then they told me to contact canon. So maybe that is the way it works, but Im still not convinced. Keep me posted.

I,m using the built in flash

Tim
Authority

Hello Again, Plow.

We were able to reproduce your setup and I think we should be able to resolve this for you. 

Basically, I believe that you are in the CustWireless setting under the heading Built-in flash.  If you have the setting for Wireless Func. set to [Built in flash + External flash], you will be limited to 1/4 power.  You will know it's set because it shows a small picture of a Speedlite and then the built in flash popped up. 

Change this so the icon shows only the single external flash, you will see that the flash output options will not allow changing from 1/1 to 1/128. 

After changing it and seeing that you can now set the flash to full power, what I would suggest it to change the Built-in flash heading from CustWireless to NormalFiring.  If you do not have an external Speedlite in the mix, you do not need to have the camera set to CustWireless anyway. 

We wish you the best of luck.

plow
Contributor
Hellow Tim
Thanks for the quick reply, you are right , But when in Manual is where this all takes place' If you buit in flash, custom wireless, Flash mode-manual then you will see the picture of the pop up flash with flash output beside it. there is where you see 1/4 power output. It has to be set for manual setting.
Hopefully this helps.
Steve

Hi plow!

At this point, we would recommend contacting our technical support team by email for further assistance.  They are able to explore all aspects of this a little deeper.  If your camera was not purchased in the USA, please contact the Canon division it was purchased for further assistance.  Just visit our homepage at http://www.canon.com, and then select the region the camera was purchased to locate their contact information.  They'll be happy to help!

The store doesn't know why it does this and canon experts don't know, so i going to take it to a nikon store and see if they know. What is an expert....

Announcements