cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t3i battery dies when camera is off

poleman
Contributor

Twice now I pulled my T3I out of my camera bag turned it on and the battery was dead.  The first time I thought I might of left it on but this time I know for a fact that is was off. I have version 1.0.2 the camera is new I got it may 22 2014. from costco. I did get a new memory card scandisk extreme 32gb 80 mb/s but it was not in the camera this time. Im not sure if it was in the camera the first time Im not even sure if I had the memory card when I first saw this problem. The batteries are real canon batteries they came with the camera I also have the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera this is the lens that was on the camera when this problem showed up.

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You need to start the process of tedious elimination.

It is not your lens or the Sandisk SD card. Try a different (new) battery. A different charger. All the easy stuff first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This has happened with two seperate Batteries one canon and one wasabi. They are both new. I got a new T3i in December 2013 from costco that worked fine never had a problem.  then my house got robbed in april they took my camera and the two lenses. They did not get the battery or charger so I now have two batteries and two chargers and I am using them both so I can charge faster. I got a nother new camera from costco same exact one may 22 2014 and its been working fine until tuesday the 6/17/2014 this was the day I remember the first time it happened and the battery that was in the camera on tuesday was not the same on that was in the camera yesterday Im pretty sure its not the battery. I read some post about the memory cards fouling up the camera if not formatted. I did not format the card when I first used it I only formatted it yesterday after I read about that problem. I also have a after market battery that has pretty good reviews wasabi and I didnt find anyone of the reviews saying this was a problem that they experienced. I did check the camera this morning and the battery seems fine but I left it sence tuesday so I might have to wait a couple of days to see. Thanks for the reply.

Whether or not the memory card is formatted will have nothing to do with battery life. (Still, it's a good idea to format in-camera regularly... I do it as a matter of course, every time I put a fresh card in my camera.)

Having two chargers and two different batteries, if all act the same way, it's most likely a problem with the camera.

Check your settings and usage. If, for example, you leave the camera in Live View or Video mode, or use it a lot in either of those modes, that will drain the battery much faster. Also if using the built-in flash a lot, that will greatly reduce the shots per charge. Also check how long you have set the camera to go into sleep mode. The shorter the better (today's cameras wake up so quickly, there's very little delay, and not much reason not to use a really short setting).

If none of these seem to be causing the rapid battery drain, there may be a power issue with the camera itself. The cameras don't really turn off, even when the switch is turned off. They will drain a battery over time even if turned off, but usually it takes weeks or even months. As far as I can tell, there is little (if any) difference from turning the camera off at the switch or just letting it go into sleep mode with the switch still set to "on". I rarely turn my cameras off... In fact I try to remember to do so occasionally, to make the sensor cleaning cycle run. But sometimes I'll go for weeks without actually turning them off.

I believe I've read somewhere about chargers not giving a full charge initially, too... But I think that was in relation to 7D or 70D and the batteries they use (which are different from your camera). There was a "fix" that seemed to work, but I don't recall the details. My cameras have worked fine from new, so I never had to do this. You might search for posts about this in other forums here... if it wasn't a Rebel series camera.

If none of the above helps, you may need to send in the camera to have it looked at by the Canon service dept.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

OK this statement, ..." They did not get the battery or charger so I now have two batteries and two chargers and I am using them both so I can charge faster. " elements the chager and the batteries.

Now you must concern yourself with the T3i itself.

Go through a critical review of the settings you use.  Things that are high battery users, like flash, etc.

If these appear in order Canon Service is next.  Or you may be able to return it to Cosco.

EB

Thanks for the reply guys. But the problem is not with the battery life. the batteries last a long time and most of what I use it for is video so I dont have the auto shut off turned on cause I need the camera on when Im trying to set stuff up to know what I will be shooting in fame. The problem is the battery is dieing while the camera switch is turned off. But this has only happened twice so I will have to do what you guys have suggested with trouble shooting and let it sit for a couple of days to see how long it takes to drian the battery. Like you said the first camera I had before I was stollen would last for ever I left it alone for a week or more and there was know drain at all. The main reason I posted so quick about this problem before I did and trouble shooting was I wanted to see if this was a comon problem but it doesnt sound like that is the case plus if there is a problem with the camera it is still under the 90 days for costco to return it. Thanks guy I will post back if and when I find out the problem.

Repeat..............

"OK this statement, ..." They did not get the battery or charger so I now have two batteries and two chargers and I am using them both so I can charge faster. " elements the chager and the batteries.

Now you must concern yourself with the T3i itself."

EB

Thanks I did hear you the first time and I agree with you ebiggs1.

Batteries last perhaps 3 years before they need to be replaced... In some cases only 2 years. But your camera is relatively new.

Do youn use any alternate software... For example, do you use Magic Lantern firmware? I ask because the power switch on the camera is a "soft" switch. It doesn't really deprive the camera of power.... it merely ends an instruction that you'd like to power off. Unreality the camera goes into a kind of extended sleep mode.

I'm wondering if something is keeping your camera awake even when you throw the power switch.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tcampbell to answer your question I am not useing Magic lantern or any other after market software I would like to try some of them in the future but I have read that some people have bricked thier cameras from loading the firmware wrong so Im not ready to try it yet. I do have a question if something is keeping the camera on wouldnt the display stay on if the camera wasnt going to sleep or off mode when the switch is turned off?

Announcements