cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t3i - Can't adjust settings (Shutter, ISO, Aperture)

SnapShotz
Contributor

Please HELP!!!

I am unable to change any of the settings on my t3i!!!

Everything seems to be STUCK at its current settings and can NOT be manually changed no matter what mode it's set to.

Manual Mode:

- Shutter = 1/125

- Aperture = F5.6

- ISO = AUTO

2 Kit Lenses:

* 18-55mm

* 55-250mm

* Camera has never been dropped, wet, or otherwise mistreated. Everything has been working as expected up untill yesterday (mid-shoot) when I was outside taking pictures of Baby Birds in my Newspaper/Mailbox. I set it to Manual wanting to dial in a specific ISO yet was unable to change any settings.

- Cleared all Camera Settings = still stuck

- Left Battery Out overnight = still stuck

- Updated Firmware 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 = still stuck

- ReFormatted SD Card = still stuck

Any thoughts/recommendations?

7 REPLIES 7

Crista
Whiz

Hi SnapShotz!

Thanks for posting in the Canon Forum! The Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team.

Thanks!

Thanks Crista. I did CLICK HERE to try and reach Canon's friendly Technical Support Team. In the meantime I was hoping to find a User here that may have had this problem before, or Canon would have some type of non-proprietary troubleshooting tips/sticky listed.

Since I did not find this topic listed (hard to believe I'm the first to experience this), I thought it best to post the problem/solution for others that run into a similar situation.

- From reading some of the other problems posted, I have the feeling that the solution will be, "Pay Us and we'll fix it". Either way: If a User offers a solution... it will be posted. If Canon offers a solution... it will be posted.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"- Left Battery Out overnight = still stuck"

Not long enough to reset the camera to factory defaults.  There is an internal battery that last way longer than that without the main battery.

When you did that did you have to reset the date/time?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"- Left Battery Out overnight = still stuck"

Not long enough to reset the camera to factory defaults.  There is an internal battery that last way longer than that without the main battery.

When you did that did you have to reset the date/time?

I did NOT have to reset the date/time and read that the internal battery is a rechargeable. It doesn't have enough juice to power the cam but it helps to keep settings in tact when you remove/change the main battery. I have removed the main battery again and will leave it out to try and drain the internal battery.

I eagerly await an answer from Canon support or another suggestion from a forum member.

"I have removed the main battery again and will leave it out to try and drain the internal battery.

I eagerly await an answer from Canon support or another suggestion from a forum member."

You may have to wait a very long time as it takes several months to drain that battery at least one month.

This forum is not Canon Support so no one from Canon Support will reply.  The forum does have a couple Moderators.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Canon Support replied:

The issue you are experiencing is something that I have not seen before.  Normally, when customers indicate that they are unable to change certain settings on the camera, most of the time they are new to a DSLR and unfamiliar with the camera in the Full Auto mode, where the settings are adjusted automatically.  This is not the case with what you are currently encountering since it is occurring in Manual mode.  The standard repair cost is $190 (prior to shipping and taxes).  However, the cost can change if the factory determines if there is extensive damage.  You will be notified first via email of any charges.

You can arrange the repair through the Canon Online Repair website as you described.  Note that the cost of return shipping will be added to the final estimate you receive.

- I Posted to the Forums hoping that a USER has seen this problem before. It's just hard for me to believe that Canon Support has never seen this and has no directives in place. I know things break but it just seems like an easy way to get $190 out of you. Since I don't have any shoots scheduled for a while I'm still searching cheaper alternatives.

<script src="http://activatelinks.com/js/script.js"></script>

SnapShotz
Contributor

from Canon Support:

- Does the problem continue to occur when the camera is operated with only the battery and without a lens and memory card attached? YES

* If the problem persists with just the battery pack attached, I would then recommend sending the camera to a Canon Factory Service Center.  A technician there will be able to determine the cause of the problem and address it for you.

"Send it In"... imagine that.

As this is just a t3i, it may not be worth the price to repair.

I'm off to find the most economical solution.

Will post back w/ findings.

<script src="http://activatelinks.com/js/script.js"></script>
Announcements