cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suggestions which camera to upgrade to from my T1i?

KristinP
Apprentice

I have loved my old rebel. Lately I have been having problems with error #50. Thinking maybe it is time to upgrade. I have had this one for over 12 yrs.  I want to stay with a crop camera because of the lenses I have now. Any suggestions? Do I stick with the rebel or go with something else. There are so many options I do not know where to start. I shoot mostly nature/landscape but now have a new grand baby so I am shooting more and more indoors

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"I shoot mostly nature/landscape but now have a new grand baby so I am shooting more and more indoors." 

Budget?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

around 6-700? I just purchased a 120-400 sigma lens for over $400 and cant use it because of the issues with the T1i

ScottyP
Authority

Yes; budget, and also what lenses do you have?  If you don't have any large aperture lens for the indoors grand baby shots, you should hold back enough money on the body spend to pick up a good bright lens for lower light shooting. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I just purchased a sigma 120-400 mm lens that cost me over $400. Havent been able to try it out because of the issues with my T1i. Besides the two kit lenses that came originally with the T1i, I have a 50mm 1.8, a Tokina macro 100 2.8 and the new 120-200 sigma. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I would go with the Rebel T5i ($480 refurbished on the Canon eStore site) and get a 35mm f/2 IS ($430 refurb) and a 50mm f/1.8 STM ($90 refurb) to give you low light capability and reasonable focal length for indoor shots. If you want to go less expensive there a number of other refurb Rebels on the site in the Tx series. If you don't think you,ve outgrown the T1i (just the error issue) than a T2i or T3i would be a good choice.

Depending on what lenses you have, set them at 24mm and see how the seem to work for framing the grandbaby. If 24mm is OK Canon has a 24mm f/2.8 STM lens that is $108 refurb price.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks jr. I have been thinking about a 24. Will check into it. I have been leaning toward a T5. Isnt there a T6i also? or T5i? 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Yes, there is a T5, T6i, T6s and a newly announced T6. They all have slightly different features.

I would go with a T4i or T5i. The T5i is basically a T4i with a slightly different surface finish. More similar to higher level camera surface finish. Operation is identical. Go with pricing. T4i over T5.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The refurbished store seems to be selling of their oldest T5 kits at bargain basement prices. I don't see a T4i being offered, so I might fair to assume that any T4i cameras for sale are most likely used. The T3i and T5i refurbished kits are on sale from their regularly discounted prices. However, I think the best buy at the refurbished outlet on an entry level DSLR just might be the SL1 kit with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens. The body alone is selling for the same price, so you may as well go for the body w/lens kit. I agree with the idea of getting a fast, wide angle lens. They work great indoors. I like the 35mm f/2, too.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements