cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suddenly there is a straight line diagonal line across one corner of every photo

selenabaroni
Contributor

suddenly there is a straight line in the top right corner of every photo diagnol from top to bottom, its with every lense so i think it is in the camera body i have a rebel t5IMG_1616.JPG

10 REPLIES 10

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

Looks like a dirty sensor.

I am PMing you a link to a post I wrote on sensor cleaning.

Read through it. Decide if it worth buying the gear needed to clean it yourself or pay someone else to do it.

I read your PM, the camera that you cleaned did it have a setting that locked the mirror out of the way ? mine is a T5 it has no settings what so ever that has to do with cleaning the sensor.

Switch camera to Program mode. Scroll through the yellow wrench menus. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@selenabaroni wrote:

I read your PM, the camera that you cleaned did it have a setting that locked the mirror out of the way ? mine is a T5 it has no settings what so ever that has to do with cleaning the sensor.

As John said the camera has to be in one of the creative modes (P/Tv/Av/M) for all the menu choices to appear.

From page 200 of the T5 manual.

T5 Manual Sensor Cleaning.JPG

Hair on the sensor. 

A squeeze bulb blower is as cheap as chips and you should have one anyway.  With the mirror locked up as per the instructions above, remove the lens, point the open camera down so the loosened dust will fall out, and give it a couple dozen vigorous squeezes. Remount the lens and survey the effect by taking a few more pictures of a blue sky.  Based on the photos that should be enough. 

You can of course repeat the blower if necessary.

If stubborn dust remains I personally feel a sensor brush is a very reasonable and conservative next step. I really would hate to go through the cost and inconvenience of mailing my camera to Canon for a sensor cleaning if I could easily avoid it, especially if my camera body was a $300 - $400 model like a T5 and not a $7,000.00 model like a 1dx2 or something, in which case my answer might be different.  Just be careful and brush ONLY the sensor, not anything else in there, or you might pick up oil or other contaminants and smear it on the sensor. 

That should almost certainly more than suffice for the kind of loose dust you seem to have. If the brush is not enough, then this might be the point where you decide discretion is the better part of valor and you give in to the professional cleaning.  If you choose to plunge ahead, I suggest a lot of YouTube videos on sensor cleaning. I shy away from wet cleanings myself, but the tacky gel stick type cleaners I use are super super  easy and I would not hesitate to buy and use one. Look up Sensor Gel Stick.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

selenabaroni
Contributor
I found the mirror lock thank you so much

@selenabaroni wrote:
I found the mirror lock thank you so much

Be sure you check the sensor by stopping it down all the way (large f/number) and taking a picture of the sky. Your f/10 photo above appears to show more dirt than just the hair. 

Arcade
Contributor

This happened to me last month. I  was cleaning the camera with a brush when I put the lens back and looked through the viewfinder I saw a string from the brush. I took the lens out again blew air with my rocket air and cleared it out.

Canon EOS Rebel T6i / 18-55mm IS STM

selenabaroni
Contributor
I will I ordered a whole kit to clean it thank you so much
Announcements