cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

squiggly stuff in my view finder

selenabaroni
Contributor

ok i have a Canon Rebel t5 and when i am shooting pictures there is a lot of what look like squiggly smudgy stuff in my sight . They do not show up on the photo but seem to have some affect on the focusing of my lens. I have the basic cleaning supplies minus a sticky gel stick. i have cleaned the mirror and the sensor but these will not go away . what do i need to do now

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@selenabaroni wrote:

ok i have a Canon Rebel t5 and when i am shooting pictures there is a lot of what look like squiggly smudgy stuff in my sight . They do not show up on the photo but seem to have some affect on the focusing of my lens. I have the basic cleaning supplies minus a sticky gel stick. i have cleaned the mirror and the sensor but these will not go away . what do i need to do now

You need to stop attempting to clean the mirror and the sensor, because neither one of them is the problem.  If the "stuff" is not showing up in your shots, then the "stuff" is probably on the focusing screen. 

I advise getting your camera professionally cleaned.  Cleaning a DSLR is a very delicate procedure.  The fact that you have not determined that the debris is on most likely on your focusing screen SHOUTS out loud that you do not know what you are doing.  Sorry.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Cleaning the mirror can lead to more problems than it might solve. Since it is surface coated it is very easy to scratch itas well as affect alignment.

Is it perhaps fungus in the lens? If you remove the lens and look through it at a light source can you see anything in the lens?

If it was just in the viewfinder I would suggest you check the viewfinder glass for smudges or maybe have some dust on the focusing screen (which you shouldn't touch.

Since you say it is affecting lens focusing and see it in the view finder I don't have an immediate explanation as to why you don't see it in your images.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements