cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sound changes when my T5i splits clips at 4GB

hannahloupo
Apprentice

I have a T5i and I'm using it to record talking-head-style videos for YouTube. I have a Rode mic that plugs in and overrides the camera's mic. The sound is set on Manual, I calibrate the input before every video, wind/attenuator is disabled. I get GREAT sound with it, but I have one problem. Every once in a while, when the camera automatically ends one file and starts another, the sound quality changes for the new file. It's as if the camera is re-calibrating the sound at the beginning of the new clip. Usually I get lucky and the sounds stays the same, but every once in a while I'll get one clip with tinny, echo-ey sound. The tinniness is so intense that it can't be balanced away in post (I'm just using iMovie).

I've tried changing every sound setting I can find on the camera and nothing fixes it. I wish I could get the camera to just record one long clip instead of splitting at 4GB/30 min, but it's my impression that this isn't possible. I can't find anything about this specific problem on the internet. HALP! 

2 REPLIES 2

AmandaC
Contributor

@hannahloupo wrote:

I have a T5i and I'm using it to record talking-head-style videos for YouTube. I have a Rode mic that plugs in and overrides the camera's mic. The sound is set on Manual, I calibrate the input before every video, wind/attenuator is disabled. I get GREAT sound with it, but I have one problem. Every once in a while, when the camera automatically ends one file and starts another, the sound quality changes for the new file. It's as if the camera is re-calibrating the sound at the beginning of the new clip. Usually I get lucky and the sounds stays the same, but every once in a while I'll get one clip with tinny, echo-ey sound. The tinniness is so intense that it can't be balanced away in post (I'm just using iMovie).

I've tried changing every sound setting I can find on the camera and nothing fixes it. I wish I could get the camera to just record one long clip instead of splitting at 4GB/30 min, but it's my impression that this isn't possible. I can't find anything about this specific problem on the internet. HALP! 

Facing the same issue here too. Help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Amanda

Tim
Authority

hannahloupo, 

We're sorry to hear that this occurs.  You may wish to try another microphone with this unit to see if the issue persists.  If so, it may be necessary to submit the camera for service.  You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements