cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shooting stop action at night with EOS Rebel T5

Greggersam
Apprentice

I need the OPTIMUM setting for shooting high school sports at night under the lights using a Canon Rebel T5 with the standard zoom lens.  Many of the setting I have tried still result in poor lighting or blurred pictures.  I do have a zoom lens that came with the kit. 

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I assume that you're using the EF 70-300mm lens, which is a lens that needs lots of light, as does your camera.  For shooting sports, especially in low light, almost requires a lens with an f/stop [maximum aperture] of f/2.8, or faster.

If you set the camera to shoot RAW, instead of JPEGs, you can use the Canon DPP software to correct somewhat for dark images.  Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about blurry images.  You can also crop images down to size, too.  The DPP software also allows you to do some noise reduction in the images, too, which can allow you to shoot at higher ISO values.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/dont-be-afraid-of-the-dark.shtml

I would strive to shoot at the shorter end of the zoom scale with the 70-300mm.  The maximum aperture on your lens narrows [reduces the light] as you increase the focal length.  Remember, you can always crop images in post processing, to simulate a long zoom. 

The best shots are a result of getting yourself positioned for the shot, not from having a "long" focal length lens.  Doing so takes a knowledge and familiarity of the sport.  Try to attend a practice session, because you probably need it, too, with the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

duplicate post?

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/EOS-Rebel-T5-shooting-at-night/m-p/186517#M13850

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Make sure your ISO is allowed to go to 11* by setting "H" mode and setting the ISO there. (You will have to be in P mode to do this.

*Spinal Tap Reference, I do not mean that you should set your ISO to 11!

Announcements