cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

settings - 300 dpi

lizpomeroy
Apprentice

How do I change settings on my EOS Rebel T1i so that my photos are 300dpi?  Most that I have taken are coming out 72 dpi

17 REPLIES 17

I just pulled up DPP4 and see it has a box for DPI.  But what it really means is PPI.  This is one way this whole topic has become so confusing for so many.

DPI actually refers to printer dots per inch.  When used in Photoshop or DPP 4, it means PPI, which are pixels per inch. DPI and PPI are two different things, yet often DPI is used when it should say PPI.  PPI is a measure of how an image is printed to paper.  Some programs call PPI a measure of "resolution" which leads to even more confusion since it is only the resolution of the printed output, not the "resolution" of the digital image.

If the pixels of an image do not change, then it has the same digital resolution no matter what number is parked in that DPI/PPI box. 

More confusion is done by the fact that the PPI setting can be used to determine the print size.  But a digital photo's resolution are its pixels and if those don't change, the photo remains the same resolution.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I just pulled up DPP4 and see it has a box for DPI.  But what it really means is PPI.  This is one way this whole topic has become so confusing for so many.

DPI actually refers to printer dots per inch.  When used in Photoshop or DPP 4, it means PPI, which are pixels per inch. DPI and PPI are two different things, yet often DPI is used when it should say PPI.  PPI is a measure of how an image is printed to paper.  Some programs call PPI a measure of "resolution" which leads to even more confusion since it is only the resolution of the printed output, not the "resolution" of the digital image.

If the pixels of an image do not change, then it has the same digital resolution no matter what number is parked in that DPI/PPI box. 

More confusion is done by the fact that the PPI setting can be used to determine the print size.  But a digital photo's resolution are its pixels and if those don't change, the photo remains the same resolution.

I agree with the bold type.  Do you realize that you just agreed with what I posted earlier? 

That being from the software's perspective, it does not make any difference whether or not it is printing to a disk file or hardware device.  The source software does not care, it is blind to the details of the differences, which is the POINT of the driver software.  The software will work the same way, whether it is writing to a JPEG, TIFF, or a GIF.  The driver handles the micro-management details to the extent, that it becomes a don't care condition.

Let me put it another way.  What is the difference between measuring speed in meters per second, or feet per second?  As far as the formulas are concerned that use the measurements.....nothing.  They are virtually interchangeable, just as the driver software called by DPP, Photoshop, or whatever, to perform the actual "printing" are virtually interchangeable.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Smiley Frustrated

You are about as confusing, or confused, as Mr. Martin is. So I really don't understand what you are trying to get across now.

But there are no dots-per-inch until a print driver gets the file.  Saving a jpg is not printing a jpg no matter what your software calls it.

Re-read this carefully, "Some programs call PPI a measure of "resolution" which leads to even more confusion since it is only the resolution of the printed output, not the "resolution" of the digital image."

I am sorry but I can not make it any clearer or plainer.

EB

"Saving a jpg is not printing a jpg no matter what your software calls it."

When I have been using the word "software", I have been referring to source code, not an application.  From a code perspective, generatig a file of type JPEG to save on a disc is identical to generating a file of type PCL to send to a printer. 

No diference.  They are both "Print" commands, the same command, in fact.  Providing the command with different operating parameters changes the file type and the file destination.. In fact, generating an image on your computer monitor is a "Print" command, too!

But, I will agree to let it rest.  I know how difficult it is to look at something familiar from a different point of view..  I have been writing software for decades, and some of the changes that have taken place over the years have taken me time

Canvas Size.PNG

Stay healthy!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"They are both "Print" commands, ..."

Like I said you or your software can call it whatever you like, it is not the same. Just because software displays some verbiage does not make it a fact.  The person writing the software may not understand the correct terminology.  Perhaps that is what causes most of the confusion on this topic.  But you can Google it and get any amount of sources that explain it correctly.

EB

If we were face to face and discussing this I am sure we would likely resolve the disparity of our thoughts.  But replying to posts depends on grammatical skills which I do not possess the best of.  

EB

--confused--
Apprentice

I have a T5i.  I am looking to enter a photo contest.  They are requiring me to send them a high res photo (which they say is 300 DPI)  How do I take that picture?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You just take the photo. Shoot RAW for the best quality image for editing. After the image is edited in your software you would export the image. There should be a setting in your software to set the DPI/PPI.

If you post the name of software you are using we can give more specific help.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements