cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

set 600D/T3i to shoot single shot with a wireless remote without having the timer involved?

frogpoet
Contributor

Can a 600D/T3i be set to shoot with a wireless remote without the timer being involved? I have not been able to find a way yet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ColinGlover
Contributor

Yes. Your remote has a switch on the bottom that sets it to either shoot immediately, or with a 2 second delay. I assume yours will be set to the 2 position. It needs to be set to the 0 position. Problem solved. Regards, Col.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

@frogpoet wrote:

PS... why did Canon "hide" the wireless remote sensor so that you can only shoot wireless if you are out front of the camera and off to the right, ?, wouldnt it have been more practical to have put it up on the flash or something so that it had at least a 180 degree horozontal angle of view and a90 degree view verticaly.....????????

I can only speculate that they did it because most of the time it's used as for shots where you are going to be in the photo.  They even include an option for a 2 second delay so you have time to hide the remote before the camera takes the shot.

There are some options...

There's a Kickstarter project where some guy is making a Bluetooth device that pairs to your phone... but has a IR emitter.  The idea being that you use your phone as the remote release and it locally transmits the IR signal into the camera to take the shot.  

If you're interested, here's the link:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/702400282/maxstone-iphone-your-camera/?

Also... since the camera has a port for a "wired" remote shutter release, there are a lot of options involving that method (including wireless options.)  Vello makes something called the "Shutter Boss".  It's a small module that mounts on your camera, the wire plugs into the remote shutter release port.  You then have a wireless trigger that you can use to take the shot from a distance and since it's radio the direction (and even line of sight) does not matter.

Also, the Canon 600EX-RT flash supports remote triggering.  There's an option to connect a cord from the flash to the shutter release on the camera body.  You use another flash (or an ST-E3-RT transmitter) to trigger it.  That's a bit of a pricey option unless you already happen to own a pair of 600EX-RT flashes or transmitter (it turns out I do... but that's because I needed multiple flash units and a trigger anyway.  So for me, this is effectively a zero incremental cost option because I already own the gear for other reasons.)

There are also low price options... via used a "wired" remote release.  The Canon RS60-E3 remote release (designed for your camera) is the "wired" release.  The cable is not very long... but it turns out it's just an ordinary stereo headphone cable (3-conductor).  You can get an extension cable for this.  The camera & remote use a 2.5mm jack.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for the response.

Yes, to all you said and I will have a look at the link.  It (the limits ov visibility) came to my attention after shooting some family group shots at a family gathering last month. I have used it before with small diameter lenses and been ok with its operation but at the gathering I was using a fast lens with a noticibly larger diameter and was surprised at the effect it had on the "line of sight" of the sensor.  OK, lessons learned.  Also the delay , even tw2 seconda cam mean the difference between a genuine smile and one thats been held too long...everybody gets figity..yes? I used ti do infant portrait stuff and posed the tikes while keeping the shutter bulb under one knee..then let go of the infant long enough to squash the button and then grab th tike before it toppled over. Some really fun expressions were captured that way..and parents were over-joyed whwn the contact sheets arived for their aproval. (ypu, that was back in the"good ol days)'     When I got my first  DSLR I shot about 4 or 5 thousand frames , cafefully documented , to figure out how to gat the results I wanted while using as much "computer" as possible. Life is full of learning experiences, aint it ?

Thanks again,

Bruce 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements