cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rebel auto focus problems

slorff
Contributor
why is there an autofocus/manual on the left hand side of the lense if you already change that on the right hand side of your camera???...is it because the camera button is diff from the lense??...i just had to recently buy another lense cuz mine was damaged somehow ...i never had to deal with this for the first 3 yrs of owning my camera...any insights will help me...:)
21 REPLIES 21

Tiffany

Hi Slorff!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what equipment you're using.   Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

Thanks!

a rebel xs canon camera..the

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II SLR Lens

Are you having a problem with Autofocus?  Or are you just inquiring about the switch placement? Which button on the right hand side of the camera do you mean? 

I think you are confusing some other control as there is no Manual/Auto focus switch or button on the camera itself. The only AF manual/auto control is the Focus Mode Switch is on the lens itself.  All Canon EF-S lenses have this switch and it would have been the same on your previous lens. 

_xs1.jpg

_xs2.jpg

Mike Sowsun

yes it is the switch that is on the lense itself and not the camera...

The switch on the lens just turns on or turns off the Auto Focus function of the lens.  It is possible to make some selections on the body to change how the AF function operates.  

For example you can select individual AF points in the viewfinder or switch form "One-Shot" AF to "AI Servo" (continuous AF)

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"why is there an autofocus/manual on the left hand side of the lense if you already change that on the right hand side of your camera???"

What "right hand" button are you talking about?  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

the main round on/off button and where u switch settings you want to use.....and the other  one  is the af/m button on the left

I am still not following which button, on the right hand side of the camera you think is connected with auto focus.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Can you point it out? Are you referring to the "AF" button on the multi-controler?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"why is there an autofocus/manual on the left hand side of the lense if you already change that on the right hand side of your camera???...is it because the camera button is diff from the lense??...i just had to recently buy another lense cuz mine was damaged somehow ...i never had to deal with this for the first 3 yrs of owning my camera...any insights will help me."

"the main round on/off button and where u switch settings you want to use.....and the other  one  is the af/m button on the left"

You say you never dealt with the AF/MF switch on your original lens that you had for 3 years. You probably just never noticed it.

But........ In the late 1980's Canon did manufacture 3 Auto Focus lenses for EOS cameras that had no Manual focus ring or AF/MF switch, so it is possible.

Canon EF 35-70mm 3.5-4.5A

_1a.JPG_1b.JPG

Canon EF 35-80mm Power Zoom

_1d.jpg_1e.jpg

Canon EF 100-200mm 4.5A

_1g.jpg_1h.jpg

Mike Sowsun
Announcements