cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rebel SL2 how to watch videos?

nopicturesever
Apprentice

I have recently purchased a rebel SL2. I cannot watch videos on my computer. 

I have older computer with windows 7. I tried downloading software from canon, each time

a message opens in word ; says cannot open? 

Is my computer just to old ? would love to have someone help me step by step learn whatevr process i need to

know how to process my videos.  thanks

Eric O.

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

MPC Video Player (Media Player Classic) opens quickly and seems to play about anything you throw at it.

[https://mpc-hc.org/]

Also, Irfanview has a video player as well. Plus it's a handy still image viewer that also includes a bunch of other useful tools.

[https://www.irfanview.com/]

Both are free downloads and work well on my Win7 desktop. But neither has any editing capability, they are strictly viewers. Be cautious of downloading any free video editing software. I'm sure there are exceptions but many of the downloads contain adware and/or malware.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Eric:

First lets have a look at your computer:  Is the computer up-to-date with its software patches.  If not, or you aren't sure, go to control panel and on the top right of that screen make sure it says Small Icons - if not click on the down arrow and select that.

You should see a large array of icons, and the very last one should be Windows Update - Click on that.  The system will check for updates and take you through a process to deliver them to  your computer.  If it does do updares I would suggest a reboot, even if it doesn't as you to.

OK now we look at your camera.  Are you using that as the card reader, i.e. you are plugging your camera into a USB port or HDMI port.  If so I suggest you remove the SD card and plug it into your computer's on-board card reader (if you have one) or get a USB connected multi card reader - they are easily available.  If you can watch your videos then I would suspect an issue with the circuit between your camera and the card.  That involves the circuit in the camera to the port, the cable to the port, and the connection at the computer end.  You can test isolate the camera as a point of failure by plugging something else with an HDMI port into the same cable and see if that works.  If that is not the case, then replace the cable, if that is not the issue then suspect the port on your computer.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Basic service for win7 ended 3 years ago. If the OS required an update for the Canon CODEC since then, it won't get one.

Hi Kevin

Actually that depends on the version of Windows 7 one has.  I used to work with MS and I checked that my Professional version is currently supported.  In fact I just downloaded 5 non-critical service patches.

As with most problems expressed to our site, the amount of details is limited, so I tried not to assume anything, hence the request the OP check his update status.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Wolfie0827
Enthusiast

Ok, first off the only ones here who have come close to the most likely problem and solution are thos suggesting you download an alternate media player. However, there may be other problems.

If Micrsoft word is trying to open a video file then your "Default Programs" list in the registry is messed up. Also (if I remember correctly) the SL2 saves videos as an mp4 format(?). And an update to windows 7 from a couple of years ago allowed windows media player to read mp4's which indicates that your windows has either not been updated for quit some time or has missed some updates. Niether of which is a good thing.

However there is an easy fix for this if a missing codec is the issue. Google (search) for K-Lite codec and download and install the basic package. It will then allow you to play the video's with Windows Media Player. It will also allow you to reset the "Default Programs" List, at least for video so that Word will not be trying to open your videos.

P.S. I do understand that the video centric cameras from Canon do have a "RAW" video format also and if that is the case here that your videos are in the RAW format, then I'm not sure what you would have to do to fix the issue, though it is still a codec and program association issue.

Just un FYI: I am a photographer and also was a PC Technician for over 37 years before retiring.

@Wolfie0827 wrote:

...If Micrsoft word is trying to open a video file then your "Default Programs" list in the registry is messed up. Also (if I remember correctly) the SL2 saves videos as an mp4 format(?). And an update to windows 7 from a couple of years ago allowed windows media player to read mp4's which indicates that your windows has either not been updated for quit some time or has missed some updates. Niether of which is a good thing...

I think the OP meant that attempting to install Canon's software brought up a "failed to install" message in Word, though even that sounds a bit strange, if true.

But that does bring up a good point that even with an alternate video player installed he may still need to change the file association for the default video player to open his video files. He'll likely be given the option to set this default while installing MPC or whatever video player he chooses. But I wouldn't imagine that it would require actually editing anything in the registry.

Announcements