Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

"unlock" exposure T3i

When in AV mode, I can aim at the point in the scene that I want to lock the exposure for and press the * button (AE Lock). Now say I change my mind and I don't want to lock the exposure - how do I turn off AE Lock? Pressing * again just changes the lock to the new point.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: "unlock" exposure T3i

@daviddoria wrote:

When in AV mode, I can aim at the point in the scene that I want to lock the exposure for and press the * button (AE Lock). Now say I change my mind and I don't want to lock the exposure - how do I turn off AE Lock? Pressing * again just changes the lock to the new point.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

You never want a 'random' exposure.. so having a locked exposure is typically not a problem.  If you change your mind as to what you want to lock the exposure on... just press the '*' button again.

When the viewfinder display goes off (4-6 seconds) the lock automatically clears.

BUT... if you want to force it to clear faster, do the following:

1. Press the AF selection point button (typically just to the right of the * key in the upper right corner of the camera back)
  2. Half-press the shutter button (without changing the AF point -- this clears the AF selection mode)

This releases the AE lock.

See:  http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/autoexposure_ae_lock_article.shtml

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da