cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"busy"

twinkiequeen
Apprentice

My Canon Rebel XT flashes "busy" when I attempt to plug it into my computer to download photos...I have changed lens, changed power cords, turned it off for several minutes before turning it back on, blown air into slot where cord attaches to make sure there is no dust....if the cord is not attached, the camera works as it should...when the power cord is attached, NOTHING will work or move on the camera....i took some lovely pictures this morning and now cannot download them

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@TTMartin wrote:

@twinkiequeen wrote:

My Canon Rebel XT flashes "busy" when I attempt to plug it into my computer to download photos...I have changed lens, changed power cords, turned it off for several minutes before turning it back on, blown air into slot where cord attaches to make sure there is no dust....if the cord is not attached, the camera works as it should...when the power cord is attached, NOTHING will work or move on the camera....i took some lovely pictures this morning and now cannot download them

The best solution here to get the photos off of your card, is to use an external CF card reader.

I use the Transcend USB 3.0 Super Speed Multi-Card Reader for SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/CF Cards available for $13 from Amazon. [link removed per forum guidelines]

The silliness of such stringent enforcement of the "forum guidelines" continues to be obvious.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Bob has a good point. If the OP has never connected the camera before she needs to go into the Menu and select "PC connection" in Wrench 2 menu.

image.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The latest firmware download is revision 1.0.3, 10/25/05. The camera was released with support for Windows XP.  It uses USB 2.0 ports.

The most recent EOS Utility version for it seems to be version 2.7.3, 12/11/09, released for Windows Vista.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Bob has a good point. If the OP has never connected the camera before she needs to go into the Menu and select "PC connection" in Wrench 2 menu.

image.png

I should probably stick to topics I understand better than I do this one, but I actually thought it was the other way around. I.e., that Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) was the newer one, but that early Rebels defaulted the other way because the PC operating systems of the day didn't yet support PTP. In the unlikely event that I'm right about that, the information provided in the instruction manual would now be out of date.

Bob

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
A better recommendation would be to check where the current communication setting is and switch to the alternate and see if that resolves the issue.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@twinkiequeen wrote:

Lovely pictures, you say?  Are you saying that you can playback the images in the camera? Can you still take new pictures?

A "Busy" message usually means it is interacting with the memory card.  Have you tried a different memory card? 

BTW, you can always removed the memory card from the camera, and use a card reader plugged into your PC's USB port.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If it flashes Busy when connect to computer that usually means it is waiting for the software to open and/or the computer to recognize the camera.

What software are you using to download the images.

Did it used to work? If so, did you make any changes to the computer?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

If it flashes Busy when connect to computer that usually means it is waiting for the software to open and/or the computer to recognize the camera.

What software are you using to download the images.

Did it used to work? If so, did you make any changes to the computer?

The XT is probably one of those cameras that uses, by default, a transfer protocol now considered obsolete (and therefore not supported by modern operating systems). Why that should be reflected via the "busy" indicator isn't obvious, but I suppose anything is possible if the camera doesn't get the response it expects from the computer.

Bob

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@twinkiequeen wrote:

The best solution here to get the photos off of your card, is to use an external CF card reader.

I use the Transcend USB 3.0 Super Speed Multi-Card Reader for SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/CF Cards available for $13 from Amazon. [link removed per forum guidelines]

@TTMartin wrote:

@twinkiequeen wrote:

The silliness of such stringent enforcement of the "forum guidelines" continues to be obvious.

Bob

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

image.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The latest firmware download is revision 1.0.3, 10/25/05. The camera was released with support for Windows XP.  It uses USB 2.0 ports.

The most recent EOS Utility version for it seems to be version 2.7.3, 12/11/09, released for Windows Vista.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

image.png

I should probably stick to topics I understand better than I do this one, but I actually thought it was the other way around. I.e., that Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) was the newer one, but that early Rebels defaulted the other way because the PC operating systems of the day didn't yet support PTP. In the unlikely event that I'm right about that, the information provided in the instruction manual would now be out of date.

Bob

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
A better recommendation would be to check where the current communication setting is and switch to the alternate and see if that resolves the issue.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements