cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T5 "Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change card or format card

danielle4
Apprentice

I just got this error on my T5. When I try to take a picture, it says: "Card cannot be accessed.  Reinsert/change card or format card with camera." re-inserted but no luck.

So, I try to format the card from the camera menu settings, and it says "Cannot format.  Change card."

I even tried re-formatting the cards on my computer, but still no luck. the card works on other cameras, so it's not the card.

I have used  this card in the camera before and never had a problem, this just happened all of the sudden.

PLease help. My camera is only 4 months old.

22 REPLIES 22

Tanzi
Apprentice
it happening to me now cant see any solution here

My camera stop reading my card. At first I thought it was the card but I put in an old card and it's still not working. It just says no card. Please help!!!! 

Amateur675
Apprentice

I have the same problem and it's driving me crazy. One solution (kind of) is to move all your pictures onto a drive or laptop so that your card is free. It ussually starts to work again.

Downside: This is only a quick solve because after a few pictures it shows the same message again... 

Tim
Authority

Hello Danielle4, 

We recommend trying a completely different card in the camera.  Please make sure that you format the card in the camera prior to use.  This will help you determine if the issue is within the card or the camera. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Jkm
Apprentice
Hi, ok I had the same issue with my canon t2i and figured it out, it was my fault. I bought a 32gb card and, I got an error message saying format or replace card. When I tried to format the card, my camera wouldn't let me. I tried to format it on my computer but, I couldn't do that either. After a good while trying to figure it out, I realized the card I bought came in a package with a much smaller tiny card. I figured that the smaller card is for my phone and, I don't really need it so, I just tossed it in my drawer. I realized much later that there was that slit on the bottom of my 32gb card. I figured it was just a part for your fingers to grab on to to pull it out of your camera or whatever. Well...that much smaller tiny card that came in the package with my sd card, that tiny card fit into that slit on the bottom of my sd card and, as soon as I put the sd card in my camera..perfect..over 4000 shots available and no need to format. So, I hope this helps someone out....

@Jkm wrote:
Hi, ok I had the same issue with my canon t2i and figured it out, it was my fault. I bought a 32gb card and, I got an error message saying format or replace card. When I tried to format the card, my camera wouldn't let me. I tried to format it on my computer but, I couldn't do that either. After a good while trying to figure it out, I realized the card I bought came in a package with a much smaller tiny card. I figured that the smaller card is for my phone and, I don't really need it so, I just tossed it in my drawer. I realized much later that there was that slit on the bottom of my 32gb card. I figured it was just a part for your fingers to grab on to to pull it out of your camera or whatever. Well...that much smaller tiny card that came in the package with my sd card, that tiny card fit into that slit on the bottom of my sd card and, as soon as I put the sd card in my camera..perfect..over 4000 shots available and no need to format. So, I hope this helps someone out....

Two things:

1.  MicroSD cards are not recommended for use in Canon DSLRs.  The adapters are very unreliable.

2.  The memory card really does require a low level format by the camera.

The microSD memory cards really should only be used in devices that use them directly, without an adapter.  If you look up your camera’s instruction manual, I am sure that you will see “SD” and “SDHC” cards as being suitable for use.  You will not see “SDXC” or “microSD” listed as a compatible type of memory card.

Memory cards are tested for speed and functionality during production.  While it may seem as if the card has been pre-formatted, it has not.  What you are seeing is residue from production testing.  The formatting may not be complete, either.  The production testing formatting residue needs to be completely wiped away by performing a “low level format” in your camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Jkm wrote:

What you bought is a micro-SD card (yes, the type of card used in cell phones), together with an adapter that makes it usable in place of a full-size SD card. After you discarded the micro-SD card, you were trying to use the adapter as though it were a card; so of course it didn't work.

Now that you're using the card and the adapter as they were intended to be used, things are working. But you may not be entirely out of the woods yet. Many users have found that combination unreliable, and having a card fail during an important photo shoot is the last thing you want to have happen. (Actually, it's the next-to-last thing. The last thing is not to discover the problem until you're back at your computer trying to edit the pictures you didn't take.)

So the bottom line is that the safest course of action is to throw both the adapter ind the micro card in the drawer and get a proper SD card. Or maybe you can use the micro card in your phone.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you,  This was exactly the problem I was having with a new card....

Jkm
Apprentice
Really? I had no idea about the sd card and micro that you mentioned. Thankyou for that information..

Jkm
Apprentice
Hi, I discovered that when I talked to a canon rep. The card I thought, it was just the adapter. The micro card is the main card and, that's not intended for my camera. So, I just bought a 16gb card...the right kind of card this time. It's over 2000 pics so, that's plenty. I sure don't want to take a bunch of pics and, have some issue later on where there are no pics. Or, their messed up some how. Better safe than sorry. Thanks.
Announcements