cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pop-up flash not working

binil
Apprentice

Hai Friends. Sometimes my canon 700d camera's pop-up flash not working in manual mode and automatic mode .help me..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xxxgeoxxxx
Apprentice
Hello to all,
Sorry for the late repply, it seams that there was an internal problem with the pop-up flash. The camera was sent in warinty and it was sorted out by Canon. Thank you all for your feedback!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@binil wrote:

Hai Friends. Sometimes my canon 700d camera's pop-up flash not working in manual mode and automatic mode .help me..

What do you mean by not working?

Wont pop-up typically caused by dirt under and around the flash. 

Wont flash typically caused by the camera thinking there is something in the flash hotshoe. There is a small button under a lever on the inside rail of the hotshoe that sometimes get stuck.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

In manual mode the flash will never just pop up on it's own.  You have to push the tiny button (front side of the camera with the little lightning-bolt symbol) to raise the flash.  If the flash is raised, the camera will use it.  If it's down, the camera will not use it.

Also, for the flash to fire, it needs to be ready.  There are capacitors which can provide the flash with the surge of power needed for the strobe.  Once the flash fires, some (or all) of the energy is depleted from those capacitors and it can take a moment or two in order for the capacitors to recover and be ready to fire again.  The flash doesn't often fire a full-power burst... if it only needs a partial power burst it may be ready to fire again instantly... but if it fires a full power burst it needs a few moments (usually just a couple of seconds.)   BUT... if you fire a few shots in rapid succession, you may notice that flash fired the first time... maybe even the first and second time, but missed and failed to fire after a few shots.  If you wait a few seconds and shoot again, the flash will work.  This is completely normal for any strobe.

If the camera is in full auto mode (or in some scene-based modes) the camera will raise the flash automatically if it feels flash is needed.

To be able to provide more specific help, we'd probably need a very specific scenario of what you are doing when the flash fails to fire (what mode is the camera in, did you manually raise the flash, how quickly are you shooting, how far away was your subject from the camera, etc.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hello to all. I have a similar problem with an 700D. 

First i tought I had made some flash adjustements that lead to this underexposed/flash activated sequance of pictures.

Than I tried some scenarios. 

1 st Factory resset 

2nd switched to A+ mode

3rd find a dark room

The camera was doing like this:

The flash poped, the strobe for focusing fired, focus confirmation beep than this happened:

first 2 photos the flash fired but the pictures were underexposed

the third the flash didn't fired at all

fourth good flash exposed picture

then no fire from the flash...

After rebooting the camera it starts this issue all over again but not in the same order.

The Camera has only 6 mounths.

It is still under warranty, send it in with a detailed description  of the problem.

"3rd find a dark room"

How dark?  The flash is very small and not very powerful.  If it was too dark the flash won't do well.

"It is still under warranty, send it in ..."

Good advice but call Canon support first.  Explain the problem to them.                ...           First! Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"3rd find a dark room"

How dark?  The flash is very small and not very powerful.  If it was too dark the flash won't do well.

Good advice but call Canon support first.  Explain the problem to them.                ...           First! Smiley Happy

Hello again. 

Thank you all for your feedback. I saw that there are others with this popup flash issue. 

The room was mild lit and the flash was needed because it poped out automatically. I had some other cameras before and in that lighting situation all would had chosen to fire the flash. 

I share with you the exif from the row of pictures.

First picture flash popped, focus confirmation, flash fired picture very underexposed 

1471 Flash on fired but underexposed picture.JPG

Second picture  flash poped, focus confirmation, flash didn't fired picture underexposed1421 Flash on did not fired but well exposed picture.JPG

Third picture flash poped, focus confirmation, flash fired picture well exposed (flash light visible in the picture)

1422 Flash on fired visible in the picture.JPG

I had sent it in Friday. 

The conclusion is that the flash is not working properly, confirmed by the warranty department from the retailer.

@xxxgeoxxxx wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"3rd find a dark room"

Hello again. 

Thank you all for your feedback. I saw that there are others with this popup flash issue. 

The room was mild lit and the flash was needed because it poped out automatically. I had some other cameras before and in that lighting situation all would had chosen to fire the flash. 

I share with you the exif from the row of pictures.

First picture flash popped, focus confirmation, flash fired picture very underexposed 

1471 Flash on fired but underexposed picture.JPG

Second picture  flash poped, focus confirmation, flash didn't fired picture underexposed1421 Flash on did not fired but well exposed picture.JPG

Third picture flash poped, focus confirmation, flash fired picture well exposed (flash light visible in the picture)

1422 Flash on fired visible in the picture.JPG

I had sent it in Friday. 

The conclusion is that the flash is not working properly, confirmed by the warranty department from the retailer.

You may just be seeing a demonstration of the way the ETTL algorithm works. It is relentlessly averse to blown highlights and effectively takes the position that all flash is fill flash. So as you increased the ISO setting, things got better. Check your underexposed pictures again and see if the highlights are properly exposed. If they are, that's probably the explanation. If you're unable to expose for the ambient light, try setting the flash to manual mode (assuming it has such a setting; most do), That should give you enough light, but you'll have to manage it carefully to avoid blown highlights or outright overexposure.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

grdgas
Apprentice

I just got this T6i and am finding it amasing ... so far.  I, obviously, haven't even touched the surface of learning to use it. BUT, I have hit a small snag.  I tried to shoot a picture indoors, with low light.  I tried to take it as directed in the directions, but when the pop-up flash "pops", I get an error message on the touch screen about it not being allowed to "pop".  I have to shut off the camera, turn it back on and try again.  Same proceedure, same result!   Help!

xxxgeoxxxx
Apprentice
Hello to all,
Sorry for the late repply, it seams that there was an internal problem with the pop-up flash. The camera was sent in warinty and it was sorted out by Canon. Thank you all for your feedback!
Announcements