cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

photos with flash way too dark

FTG
Apprentice

Hi, I got a Rebel T6s and have serious issues with flash photos in low light conditions. I use two differents lenses (kit lens 18-135STM and prime lens 50mm 1.8 STM). EXIF data shows me that flash has been fired, but the picture is completely dark. I have no idea what to do. I shoot the same image with the same adjustments several times and sometimes the flash fires correctly but most of the time does not. Anybody any idea? I was using a Lumix 4/3rd with Olympus lenses before and never had a any problem with that.

Every help is greatly appreciated. I uploaded an example image.

IMG_6109.jpg

21 REPLIES 21

FTG
Apprentice

Thank you for the different opinions on this issue. To respond to a couple of comments:

1. Yes I'm sure the flash fired.

2. Yes I used evaluative metering.

3. The picture has been shot in "P" mode.

I tried to take pictures in full Auto mode or any other mode and always get the same problem. Taking the same scenery a different times and in one out of 5 times the flash fires fully resulting in the expected typical flash picture.

IMG_6070.jpgIMG_6068.jpgI attach two more pictures which I shot 15 seconds apart (to be sure the flash is fully charged again), both in "P" mode. I still don't get it what is going wrong.

You are just using the little flash that is in the camera?  For whatever reason it isn't firing fully charged on the second sample. Thay is a lot of coverage for that tiny flash!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The orange tint shows more ambient light influenced the shot more than the flash did.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

FTG
Apprentice

Another point to this discussion might be:

If I press the shutter button half way down the flash emitts sometimes 3 super short flash shots. Pressing afterwards the shutter button completely and taking the picture might it be possible that those 3 flash shots influence in the metering in a way that the camera thinks the ambience is way brighter then it is really?

@FTG wrote:

If I press the shutter button half way down the flash emitts sometimes 3 super short flash shots. Pressing afterwards the shutter button completely and taking the picture might it be possible that those 3 flash shots influence in the metering in a way that the camera thinks the ambience is way brighter then it is really?

No, but it's possible that they drain the capacitors enough to keep the main flash from functioning at full power.

Those extra flashes you're seeing are the "autofocus assist beam". When the light is so poor that the camera can't autofocus the lens, it uses the flash to help out. You should be able to turn that feature off, but then you may have to focus manually.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@FTG wrote:

Be aware that in Basic Zone modes, but optional in [P] mode, pressing the shutter halfway locks in an exposure setting.  This exposure setting stays locked in [Metering Timer in Shooting 4 Menu] until the viewfinder display turns off, until you take the picture, or until you release and press the shutter again. 

If your AE Lock is engaged, you should see an asterisk at the far left end of the viewfinder display.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Chollyhillphoto
Apprentice
How to get the pop up flash to work correctly in automatic. Photos way to dark. My camera was fixed and the whe top was replaced . Now the flash seems out of wack.!

@Chollyhillphoto wrote:
How to get the pop up flash to work correctly in automatic. Photos way to dark. My camera was fixed and the whe top was replaced . Now the flash seems out of wack.!

Your camera is still broken.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Chollyhillphoto
Apprentice
Is there any way to trouble shoot this problem ?

Lamanda2
Contributor

I have the same problem with my 700d Eos Canon... When I take pictures with flash in every mode, my pictures just turns pretty dark... like I don´t know how to fix that.. 

Announcements