cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old REBEL G Eos camera

nemelie
Apprentice

What digita camera can I get to use the lenses that I have from the EOS rebelG... I have a 100-300MM EF zoom lens and I have  a canon macro lens EF 1.2.8 USM.... I want to get a cheap canon digital that I can use these lenses with....Can someone give me ideas please.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Any Canon DSLR will work with EF lenses, The cheapest is the SL1 which will work fine, or you can get one of the better Rebels.

thats great to know. Had a bear at my house and saw a bald eagle and all I have is the elph and my old  EOS rebelG with a  zoom lens 100 -300 that was sitting in the closet for years. but going back to film seems so useless esp if you want prints fast.... I'm just looking for the basic digital that will let me get good zoom and distance for wildlife... Do not want bells and whistles but a good solid cheap camera. I will look into that one.. And want to use my lenss

Thanks

"I have 3 EF lenses. a  28-105, the 100-300 zoom and and macro ef 100mm"

Ok you didn't mention exactly what lenses you have.  Are you or were you happy with the photos you got when you used these lenses on the Rebel G?  If you are, than just buy a new DSLR body only.  This is a question that only you can answer.

They will certainly work on a new Rebel DSLR whichever you choose.

The way they package cameras to sell it doesn't get a whole lot cheaper when you just buy the camera alone.  A Rebel T5 DSLR body only will still be close to $300.  But it will certainly be a huge step-up for you.  And all your current lenses will work.  The camera seem familiar to you so you will learn it easily.

A P&S in this quality will cost several hundred dollars more than $300 bucks!  So my suggestion it to check out the Rebel T5.

A P&S is going to be a real challenge to get good photos of eagles.  One of your goals.

Another possibility is to check out the used market.  Older Rebels go for around $150 to to $250 depending on how old and model.  Just be sure you shop a reputable store like KEH, B&H or Adorama or a local camera shop or even friends for used.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

thanks very helpful. What digital card is the best? I use Band H for everything. It amazes me how the film world is gone and how digital makes life so much easier and instant reults etc. One thing I always hated about film was if you develop one roll and only 3 prints that were good it seems such a waste of $$$. I wil look into what you said.

Many thanks

I hear ya.  But in my case I developed all my own film and did all my printing.  I recently destructed my darkroom and made it a storage area.  It is full of camera gear now.

I buy lenses and try them and play with them as a hobby.  I keep the ones I love and sell the others on.  I try to give accurate results to folks with actual experience with each one.  It is my way of enjoyment as others may do football and baseball games, movies, etc or whatever.

I hope it all works out for you and if you have any more questions that I may be of help, please feel free to ask.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Boy talk about a blast from the past.  A Rebel G!  It will be difficult to get a good picture of a bald eagle with it an old 100-300mm zoom lens.  Not saying it can't be done but it will be a challenge.

Your idea of getting a DSLR is a good one and will be so much easier to live with.  At the same time you can get a kit.  It will come with updated EF lenses.  For instance a Rebel T3 kit with the basic lens was around $350 at Canon refurb store.  You might want to check and see if they still have one.  A new Rebel T5 kit is around $400.

The better buy for you might be the Canon EOS Rebel T5 DSLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm IS II and 55-250mm IS STM Lenses.  It runs around $550.

EB

do I do with the old lenses? Perhaps get a kit I have 3 EF lenses. a  28-105, the 100-300 zoom and and macro ef 100mm. I hate to waste them...... Which is better a camera with lenses or a good point and shoot. I love close up photography and wildlife etc.  But cannot afford much. So I am caught whether to use lenses or point and shoot. I would assume lenses are better.

Announcements