cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not able to Get shutter (TV) mode properties in aperture mode

Kalyan164
Apprentice
I have canon t5 series camera , today when I tried to take pics in shutter mode(TV) mode , I could not see the settings for aperture mode. Same is the case with aperture mode, not able to get shutter settings in aperture mode
Can anyone let me know how to solve this issue
9 REPLIES 9

Peter
Authority
Authority

Did you press the shutter halfway?

No peter i dint press the shutter halfway

Start the camera, Tv-moden, check in the viewfinder, press the shutter halfway to activate the camera and try to change the aperture.

ScottyP
Authority
Please clarify.

When you had the camera in Tv shutter priority mode you could not "see" the aperture setting displayed? Where were you looking?

When you put it in Av aperture priority mode you could not "see" the shutter speed? Where were you looking?

How long have you been using these modes? Have you used them a lot successfully in the past or are you just starting to use them?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi Scott,

Usually when i change the TV shutter priority mode i was able to change the aperture settings earlier, i was looking in display at the back side of camera.

I have brought this cam last year and have been able to change the settings for aperture in shutter priority

When you set Tv (shutter priority) exposure mode, you cannot change the aperture manually. The camera changes it.

When you set Av (aperture priority) mode, you cannot change the shutter speed manually. The camera changes it.

When you have it set to P (program) mode, you cannot directy change either shutter or aperture. The camera adjusts them both automatically.

If you set M (manual) mode, you have to choose both shutter speed and aperture. The camera doesn't select either, but it does "recommend" a setting with an indicator on an exposure scale.

Tv, Av, and P all can be adjusted a little using Exposure Compensation.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

^^^ That.

In shutter priority, you set the shutter and the camera selects the right aperture to give you a correct exposure. Conversely, in aperture priority you select the aperture you want (for your desired DOF usually) and the camera gives you a correct exposure solution by setting the shutter speed that properly offsets the aperture you selected.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

You can choose aperture or shutter speed in Program mode by using "program shift". Many combinations of aperture size & shutter speed will result in the same amount of light gathered for the exposure. Program shift allows you to select any of the "equivalent" exposures. When you half press and meter the camera chooses an initial exposure based on the "program line" but you can shift to a different exposure by rotating the main selection wheel (front of camera next to the shutter button) after you meter the initial exposure.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

amfoto1
Authority

We're trying to understand what you are doing... but need more info.

First, to keep things simple I suggest you set the ISO yourself. Don't enable Auto ISO

When you set the camera's exposure mode dial to Av (Aperture Priority), you choose the aperture and the camera provides auto exposure (using it's built in metering system) which will select what it thinks is the appropriate shutter speed. There are a couple ways to see the aperture that you're selecting. It's displayed on the camera's rear LCD and in the viewfinder. The shutter speed the camera is selecting (only when you half-press the shutter release) will be displayed the same places.

If you set the camera to Tv (Shutter Priority), it's reversed. You choose the shutter speed and the camera selects the aperture it will use.

In both modes, if the camera is unable to achieve what it thinks is an accurate exposure, if lighting is too bright or too dim for the range possible with your settings, the camera will try to warn you by flashing either the shutter or the aperture readout. 

Check out the illustrations in the manual (pages 24 & 25 of the English version)... It shows where you'll find this info. If you aren't seeing it in those places on your camera when using it properly, there may be a fault (a lens that's not fully locked in place will cause aperture to show as "00", for example). Or your setting are wrong in some way. Or, the least likely possibility, there is some fault with the camera.

After looking at the manual, if things aren't clear, tell us more about what you are trying to do and what you're seeing.... Maybe we can help.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Announcements