cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie SL3 questions

DOUGWOLF
Apprentice

Hello, I am a veteran VFX artist just starting out in shooting video. I have a Canon SL3 and was hoping someone could answer some (I hope) basic questions for me.

1. I have a 50mm lens and an 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm lens, all Canon. I got a K&F variable ND filter to learn how best to use it in different situations. I found that the filter fits perfectly on the 18-55 and the 55-250, but wont fit on the 50. Am I missing something?

2.  When using the 50 mm lens, indoors for video I have very little problem setting the correct Fstop, white balance, ISO  etc to get the depth of field and look I want. But when I go outside, everythig is blown out white unless I go to the highest F stop, thus negating any DOF I would want. I have run up and down the scales on ISO, Fstop, white balance, etc and nothing seems to work to get and DOF which I can easily get indoors. Again, am I missing something?

Thank so much for any help.

20 REPLIES 20

Yikes; when I wrote "double the frame rate", I was speaking just to the raw number (30) itself.    Double 30 is 60 which led to the 1/60 shutter value.

I guess I should have instead written that a common shutter setting for video is 1 / 2N where N is the frames per second value.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Shutter speed is not a rate. It is a straight number of seconds.

What happens when you get to a 2 second shutter speed?

Why would anyone use a 2 second shutter for video?  Also, in all my examples, shutter is _derived_ from the frame rate (24, 30, 60, etc.)  Not the other way around.  To even get a 2 second shutter, N would need to be 1/2 (half a frame per second).

Dedicated video equipment typically has a shutter angle feature that does things automatically for you.  e.g. setting to 180º will set the shutter to always be 1 / 2N no matter what frame rate you're shooting at.

When your equipment doesn't have shutter angle though, and you want to mimic the typical 180º, you take the frames per second value N and set shutter to 1 / 2N.

For 24fps, you use 1/48 (1/50 may be the closest value DSLRs)

For 30fps, you use 1/60

For 60fps, you use 1/120 (1/125 may the closest value on DSLRs)

etc.

--
Ricky

Sorry, I guess I am bored.

We really need a DSLR/Mirrorless video section of this board to keep the nomenclature straight.

In this case, I would refer to it as a "rule of thumb".

I am glad I never shot video and glad I never will.  WHat is hard to understand is why people buy a DSLR and try to make it a video camera.  Folks just buy the darn video camera to begin with.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I do see the appeal to use DSLRs for video.  They can work for certain types of scenarios (e.g. interviews, but not long form!) Or, for more cinema style shooting (short takes, limited/controlled camera movement).  But for run-and-gun, and more event-driven scenarios, you just cannot beat a dedicated video unit.

Of course Canon (and other vendors) solve the cinema side of things with dedicated units as well (EOS C100 through C700).  If money were no object, I've love to own at least a C200.

While I do have a cam to capture family stuff, I'm with ebiggs1 in not wanting to ever shoot video professionally.  Way too may variables above and beyond those for stills for my liking.

--
Ricky

@kvbarkley wrote:

Shutter speed is not a rate. It is a straight number of seconds.

What happens when you get to a 2 second shutter speed?

Two seconds is not a speed.  It is an interval of time.  Speed is defined as unit of distance per unit of time.  

Again, camera "shutter speeds" are actually unit vectors that describe the speed it takes for the shutter to move across the image sensor. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

whoosh!

The point was not about the nomenclature, but about the fact that we talk about the shutter in terms of straight seconds *and* reciprocals.

@kvbarkley wrote:

whoosh!

The point was not about the nomenclature, but about the fact that we talk about the shutter in terms of straight seconds *and* reciprocals.

And, my point was even simpler.  Doubling a 1/30 shutter speed means 1/60 of second, not 1/15.  I'm done.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The Merriam-Webster definition of 'Speed' is "the magnitude of a velocity irrespective of direction."
--
Walter
in Davie, FL
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements