cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie SL3 questions

DOUGWOLF
Apprentice

Hello, I am a veteran VFX artist just starting out in shooting video. I have a Canon SL3 and was hoping someone could answer some (I hope) basic questions for me.

1. I have a 50mm lens and an 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm lens, all Canon. I got a K&F variable ND filter to learn how best to use it in different situations. I found that the filter fits perfectly on the 18-55 and the 55-250, but wont fit on the 50. Am I missing something?

2.  When using the 50 mm lens, indoors for video I have very little problem setting the correct Fstop, white balance, ISO  etc to get the depth of field and look I want. But when I go outside, everythig is blown out white unless I go to the highest F stop, thus negating any DOF I would want. I have run up and down the scales on ISO, Fstop, white balance, etc and nothing seems to work to get and DOF which I can easily get indoors. Again, am I missing something?

Thank so much for any help.

20 REPLIES 20

@wchettel wrote:
The Merriam-Webster definition of 'Speed' is "the magnitude of a velocity irrespective of direction."

If you're amused by circularity, go look up their definition of "velocity".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements