Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: new computer - Windows 7 won't recognize my camera. Rebel T1i

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

Great point in the saving changes to original files.  Everything in PS is destructive so one must save as a PSD to not make permanent changes.  The editing in LR is done through a seperate file but it works very well. Totally nondestructive.  As long as LR knows where the original is it is really unnoticeable and seemless.  If you are going to use the LR/PS combo you are better off just using them.  Do not use Explorer for instance.  That way LR knows everything.  On my current back-up drive LR is happily keeping track of 46,625 pictures. These go back about 5 years or so.  I have two other back-up drives that need to be purged and I have no idea how many thousands are on them.

That's all well and good if your workflow supports it. But I have one photo archive at home and another at work. And often I want to work on the files from one archive at the other location or from a laptop on a commuter train or elsewhere. Being able to replicate the files I need via the Windows "offline files" mechanism is a great advantage. If I had to replicate an entire LR database (if, indeed, it's even capable of replication), it would be unmanageable. And I have the Canon software installed on five (or is it six?) of the seven computers I use regularly. I suspect that with LR or PS that would be prohibitively expensive.

LR will make a photo 8", or whatever, on the long side no matter which side it is.  Are you saying DPP will make the same side 8" long?  Sorry, I am not familar with that feature.

No, I'm saying that it won't. There are times when you need to differentiate between portrait and landscape images and "long edge" processing is too vague. I want the ability to say "all images this many pixels high" or "all images this many pixels wide". (Slide shows are a good example.) DPP complicates matters by not telling you that it's using the long edge when you tell it to use the width or the height.

It sounds as though DPP may be doing what it does in order to mimic LR. Now there's a case of the tail wagging the dog!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
VIP

Maybe not possible where you work but at Hallmark all our drives were networked together.  Most was stored on a main server.  My home computer and laptop logged on to the server from whereever I was. It really didn't matter.

You most probably have a point on cost as each computer had to have a site licence from Adobe.  You can't fight free!

One more caveat, I bought a G15.  I don't really know why but the little thing is quite impressive.  But I do understand why people got to a DSLR after using this little guy a while.  Anyway it's bundled software d/l the photos and automatically opens them in DPP !  So it looks like both of us are going to be using it at least until I can figure out how to get LR to do it.

Chain of progression, cell phone to G15 to DSLR.  People that think a cell takes a good picture will be blown away with a G15 or G16.  And in due course those folks will be blown away with a DSLR.  Smiley Happy

It's all good?

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
New Contributor

rebel t1i won't connect to usb 3.0 port

I bought a new computer with windows 8.1.  It only has usb 3.0 ports.  I get the message that my camera the rebel t1i is not compatable with usb 3.0.  Do I need to buy a new cord?  What are my options?

Highlighted
VIP

Re: rebel t1i won't connect to usb 3.0 port

USB 3.0 port supports usb 3.0 and 2.0 devices.  Does the T1i have a setting for PTP in the menu?  If it does change it to PTP.

There are no Canon drivers needed or availible for this.

You will need to look under My Computer because it will look like another HD or USB flash drive.

Barring this, get a CF card reader and be done with it.  It's faster anyway.

Highlighted
New Contributor

found compatibility setting in the EOS program and ran that now it works.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Dear ebiggs1,

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Dear ebiggs1,

I have not had a chance to get baack to this problem for a while, but I'm ready to tackle it this morning. I appreciate your help. I have no problem downloading my images from the computer in several steps but that gets tiresome. When I connect my camera and turn it on, nothing happens.

I opened EOS Utility and went to "preferences" and the choice "Start EOS Utility automatically when camera is connected" was not active. I was not allowed to choose that.

Any advice about a possible solution would be greatly appreciated.... THANKS ... Diane

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Dear Skirball,

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Dear Skirball,

As it stands now, I can download my images from my computer via several steps. That gets tiresome. When I connect my camera and turn it on, EOS Utility does not come up. I tried going to "preferences" but the choice "Start EOS Utilities when camera is connected" is not active. What's wrong??/

I want to follow up on your advise..download version 3 of DPP and version 2 of EOS Utility. I went to the Canon website and to mt surprise the Rebel T1i is NOT on the list. Could I do any harm by downloading based on the Rebel T1 cammera?

Thanks again .... Diane

Highlighted
VIP

[ Edited ]

Diane,

Just for starters, did you up date the EOS Utility? Some of the older cameras are not supported by the updates.  If you have the original CD, I would uninstall the update and reinstall the original version.  You need to do a complete uninstall and reinstall.  If you don't this won't work either.

Next you may have to run the original EOSU in a compatibility mode (Win 7) to get it to work.

There are no drivers availible or required from Canon to make this work.  When you hook up the T1i to the computer, you do not see it at all.  Open My Computer and look.   It should look like a USB Flash drive or another hard drive.  If it does not show up in My Computer, you have a computer problem and NOT a Canon software problem.

Check this out first and let me know.

22.jpg