cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new computer - Windows 7 won't recognize my camera. Rebel T1i

bugshutter
Contributor

I got a new HP computer with Windows Home Premium. My old Dell with Windows 7 worked great with my Rebel T1i and the Canon software that came with it. I was so spoiled! Now when I connect the camera and computer.. nothing happens. I have un-installed and re-installed the softeware ( EOS DIGITAL Solutions Disk 22.2) and downloaded upgrades. No change. I don't know where to go from here. I hope someone can help. Is my problem compatibilty, "settings" or has my computer been cmprimised by a virus. I sure hope someone out there can help me.

Bewildered and bothered... bugshutter

36 REPLIES 36

Diane,

Just for starters, did you up date the EOS Utility? Some of the older cameras are not supported by the updates.  If you have the original CD, I would uninstall the update and reinstall the original version.  You need to do a complete uninstall and reinstall.  If you don't this won't work either.

Next you may have to run the original EOSU in a compatibility mode (Win 7) to get it to work.

There are no drivers availible or required from Canon to make this work.  When you hook up the T1i to the computer, you do not see it at all.  Open My Computer and look.   It should look like a USB Flash drive or another hard drive.  If it does not show up in My Computer, you have a computer problem and NOT a Canon software problem.

Check this out first and let me know.

22.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, it does show up on "my computer". I can download images that way but I would really like the EOS utility to come up when I connect the canera and turn it on.

I uninstalled all the Canon programs and only installed the programs that came with my camera. It all should work, but as I mentioned, when I go to "preferances", the "Start EOS Utility automatically ..." is not active.

Why is the Rebel T1i not on the Canon liast when you want to download upgrades (if that, indeed, is a good idea)?

Confused and feeling ignorant (but not stupid)..... Diane

Hey Diane!

Don't ever hit a brick wall, or let something like this get you frustrated! That's why we have award winning tech support! In most cases, we can resolve issues like yours in a matter of minutes. Just give us a call at 1-800-OK-CANON

IT WORKS!!! I called the toll free # and learned a lot in 1 min. Thank you SOOOO much!

I love Canon .. always have.

Diane

That's awesome! Thanks for reporting back to let us know! 

Fantastic!  Smiley Very Happy  Now go make some great pictures.

EB

Diane,

"Yes, it does show up on "my computer"."

Ok this is a start.  There is nothing wrong with your computer and set-up.  The problem is with EOSU.

Stephen is probably right about giving them a call as they can walk you through and ask what is happening when you do whatever.

However, I don't have quite the confidence in them as he does.  It is worth a try and won't cost you anything but time.

Canon is head and shoulders above the rest of the industry in this reguard.  Just another reason I am true blue Canon.

Worth a go!

That said, still, the best, top solution is Lightroom 5 or Photoshop Elements.

EB
Announcements