cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new computer - Windows 7 won't recognize my camera. Rebel T1i

bugshutter
Contributor

I got a new HP computer with Windows Home Premium. My old Dell with Windows 7 worked great with my Rebel T1i and the Canon software that came with it. I was so spoiled! Now when I connect the camera and computer.. nothing happens. I have un-installed and re-installed the softeware ( EOS DIGITAL Solutions Disk 22.2) and downloaded upgrades. No change. I don't know where to go from here. I hope someone can help. Is my problem compatibilty, "settings" or has my computer been cmprimised by a virus. I sure hope someone out there can help me.

Bewildered and bothered... bugshutter

36 REPLIES 36

Oh, and I might add, in my case, I use both Nikon and Canon cameras.  Mostly Canon for sure but I do shoot brand-N, too.

LR doesn't care!  It processes both with out notice.  Of coures DPP doesn't even know NEF exists as you might imagine.

And, yes, it certainly would be great if somebody not only passed along what changes need to be made with their software but cameras, too.  There is no doubt in my mind that Canon is the better, everything considered, equipment but Nikon has it's strong points too.

BTW, their bundled software for RAW is worse than DPP.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I really appreciate this discussion. I need time to digest all of your suggestions. The I'll give it another try to solve my problem. Back to you soon.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

Great point in the saving changes to original files.  Everything in PS is destructive so one must save as a PSD to not make permanent changes.  The editing in LR is done through a seperate file but it works very well. Totally nondestructive.  As long as LR knows where the original is it is really unnoticeable and seemless.  If you are going to use the LR/PS combo you are better off just using them.  Do not use Explorer for instance.  That way LR knows everything.  On my current back-up drive LR is happily keeping track of 46,625 pictures. These go back about 5 years or so.  I have two other back-up drives that need to be purged and I have no idea how many thousands are on them.

That's all well and good if your workflow supports it. But I have one photo archive at home and another at work. And often I want to work on the files from one archive at the other location or from a laptop on a commuter train or elsewhere. Being able to replicate the files I need via the Windows "offline files" mechanism is a great advantage. If I had to replicate an entire LR database (if, indeed, it's even capable of replication), it would be unmanageable. And I have the Canon software installed on five (or is it six?) of the seven computers I use regularly. I suspect that with LR or PS that would be prohibitively expensive.

LR will make a photo 8", or whatever, on the long side no matter which side it is.  Are you saying DPP will make the same side 8" long?  Sorry, I am not familar with that feature.

No, I'm saying that it won't. There are times when you need to differentiate between portrait and landscape images and "long edge" processing is too vague. I want the ability to say "all images this many pixels high" or "all images this many pixels wide". (Slide shows are a good example.) DPP complicates matters by not telling you that it's using the long edge when you tell it to use the width or the height.

It sounds as though DPP may be doing what it does in order to mimic LR. Now there's a case of the tail wagging the dog!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Maybe not possible where you work but at Hallmark all our drives were networked together.  Most was stored on a main server.  My home computer and laptop logged on to the server from whereever I was. It really didn't matter.

You most probably have a point on cost as each computer had to have a site licence from Adobe.  You can't fight free!

One more caveat, I bought a G15.  I don't really know why but the little thing is quite impressive.  But I do understand why people got to a DSLR after using this little guy a while.  Anyway it's bundled software d/l the photos and automatically opens them in DPP !  So it looks like both of us are going to be using it at least until I can figure out how to get LR to do it.

Chain of progression, cell phone to G15 to DSLR.  People that think a cell takes a good picture will be blown away with a G15 or G16.  And in due course those folks will be blown away with a DSLR.  Smiley Happy

It's all good?

EB

ezpop
Rising Star

Try windows update your computer, you will be able to autoplay the camera most of the time.

woodlynnimph
Apprentice

I bought a new computer with windows 8.1.  It only has usb 3.0 ports.  I get the message that my camera the rebel t1i is not compatable with usb 3.0.  Do I need to buy a new cord?  What are my options?

USB 3.0 port supports usb 3.0 and 2.0 devices.  Does the T1i have a setting for PTP in the menu?  If it does change it to PTP.

There are no Canon drivers needed or availible for this.

You will need to look under My Computer because it will look like another HD or USB flash drive.

Barring this, get a CF card reader and be done with it.  It's faster anyway.

EB

found compatibility setting in the EOS program and ran that now it works.

Dear ebiggs1,

Dear ebiggs1,

I have not had a chance to get baack to this problem for a while, but I'm ready to tackle it this morning. I appreciate your help. I have no problem downloading my images from the computer in several steps but that gets tiresome. When I connect my camera and turn it on, nothing happens.

I opened EOS Utility and went to "preferences" and the choice "Start EOS Utility automatically when camera is connected" was not active. I was not allowed to choose that.

Any advice about a possible solution would be greatly appreciated.... THANKS ... Diane

Announcements