cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need extra batteries for Rebel EOS SL1 - suggestions?

rmdl
Apprentice

I just got a new Rebel EOS SL1 and would like 2 extra batteries. The Canon batteries are so expensive. Does anyone have reommendation? Hate paying for a Canon battery, if a generic 2nd-3rd party battery would do. Yet, are there advantages to only using the expensive Canon Batteries? I did have another brand camera and bought cheap generic batteries off of ebay that worked wonderful. However, with this new Canon Camera, I'm wondering other Canon users experiences with batteris for the Rebel cameras.

6 REPLIES 6

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Yes... the canon batteries last longer and have more recharge cycles in them. I find that while generic 3rd part batteries cost about 1/3rd the price... I have to replace them three times as often.

As reliability is important to me, I ultimately gave up on third party batteries.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Stephen

Hi rmdi!

While buying "generic" or third party batteries can be so enticing to the wallet, your gear and safety is always our number one priority! Take a look at our counterfeiting site HERE to see some of the gruesome side-effects of using "knock-off" batteries might have on your cute little Rebel SL1!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You are not going to like my answer either. But Canon batteries are the ONLY way to go. I don't recommend anyone ever use 3rd party batteries. They are just not worth the risk.

Now somebody is going to pipe up and say how wonderful their experience was with them but don't do it.

Plus if your Rebel is still under warranty Canon will not fix it, if it is damaged.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Subipete
Apprentice

I am a little late in replying to this thread, so while it may help the origal post, it may help future ones.

I support the use of Canon authozized equipment and accesories, but do baulk at their higher price. I now use Best Buy here in the USA as they offer many discounts against real Canon products (Apple to BTW!).

For example this battery the LPE-12, List from Canon at $75.00, Best Buy at $60, I useda $25 voucher that I have from them from their loyalty program, so all in for $35 and free shipping on that order too.

Just hope it help someone.

When I bought my 5D3, B&H threw in one of their current house brand (Watson) batteries. It seems to work fine; and since it was a freebie, I'm happy to have it. But when I'm actually buying batteries, I stick to Canon, for the reasons previously cited.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Peter
Authority
Authority

I only own Canon batteries at the moment. The last 3rd party battery I owned changed its shape.

Some 3rd party batteries are good and some are bad. The hard part is to buy the right ones.I have never had any trouble with Canon batteries.

I need a new battery for my D30 and that camera is not worth paying expensive money for a Canon battery. It is a risk I take.

Announcements