cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my t4i will not read any SD cards

evanjamesmommy
Apprentice

When I try to take a picture, it says: "Card cannot be accessed.  Reinsert/change card or format card with camera."

So, I try to format the cards, and it says "Cannot format.  Change card."

I have used both these cards before and never had a problem, this just happened all of the sudden.

I even tried re-formatting the cards on my computer, but no luck.

21 REPLIES 21

Mykolas
Authority

Hi evanjamesmommy!

Thanks for posting on the Canon Forum!

At this point, your EOS Rebel T4i will need to be serviced by our Factory Service Center.  To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Admin,

My current situation is I can format 8gb sd card but I can't format 16gb card (which previously can)

I had try to format at my laptop, I run smoothly. It also able to save image & file. Unfortunately it show "Card not format, Change card"

Please advise, thanks

frankie_tan,

The EOS Rebel T4i will work with 16GB cards.  However, not having tested them all with the camera, we are unable to guarantee that all 16GB cards will work the same.  Even though other devices work with your card, it is still possible that the card itself is the cause of the issue here.

Have you tried other brands and speeds of 16GB SD cards?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I hope both of you folks have tried several different, brand new, top quality cards first?

Do not use cheap SD/SDHC cards! Smiley Frustrated

Also if you use your computer, make sure you have formatted it as FAT32. If you have formatted it as NTFS

your camera will not be able to use it.

And you must use the correct card for your camera model.1.png

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

i am experiencing the same case with my rebel t5i, my camera body cannot access the memory card. i did reinsert the memory card, put a new memory card, and my camera won't reformat the memory card. i also tried to reformat my memory card using my mac and it didn't helped either. it seems like the memory card slot is not working. i already filled out the repair request form and they acknowldeged it.

i just bought the camera last october 30, three weeks ago. will i be paying anything if something has to be repaired or everything is covered by warranty? how will it get to the service center, if ever?

If you can't format a memory card in your computer either, why does that tell you the camera's card slot is the problem?

Memory cards DO go bad. I've had a number of them that have stopped being able to be formatted, in camera or computer. Try a NEW memory card from a name-brand reputable maker...SanDisk, PNY, Transcend, Kingston are some. No larger than 16 GB. A larger card may not be usable in your camera at all.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I hope both of you folks have tried several different, brand new, top quality cards first?

Do not use cheap SD/SDHC cards! :smileyfrustrated:

Also if you use your computer, make sure you have formatted it as FAT32. If you have formatted it as NTFS

your camera will not be able to use it.

And you must use the correct card for your camera model.

1.png

EB

Double post is on purpose! Smiley Happy

Both will receive email notification.

EB

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Also keep in mind that cards DO wear out.  The process of "writing" to a memory card is physically destructive.  A card can have a defect that passes factory testing only to fail on the consumer after a short time.

Specifically which brand/model cards are you using?

Make sure you are inserting the cards correctly... label facing back of the camera.  Gold contacts facing front (and going in first).  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements