cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my rebel XS won't format sandisk memory card 64GB

amie22
Apprentice

I have never bought a card with this much GB.  But the camera wont format it.  Too much GB or bad card and I'm making a trip back to the store.  Please help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@TCampbell wrote:

That's an SDXC card.  Your Rebel XS camera will accept SD or SDHC cards only.

SD cards are up to 16GB and use the FAT12 filesystem.

SDHC cards are up to 32GB and use the FAT32 filesystem.

SDXC cards are 32GB to 2TB and use the exFAT filesystem.

You have an older camera which was manufactured before the SDXC standard existed and, as such, your camera does not know how to deal with those cards.

Most people here will urge you not to use a card that large anyway, because it can be a temptation to engage in risky behavior. Like putting an entire important photo shoot on a single card or leaving files on a card too long before copying them to a computer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

@amie22 wrote:

So Bob

whats your take on my choice of upgrade?

To be honest, I know next to nothing about the SL1 - only what I read on the Canon site. But I have to confess to a strong bias against Rebels, because they don't have autofocus microadjustment, which I consider almost a necessity with non-L lenses. If you don't share that bias, the SL1 does appear to get good reviews from its purchasers. Its selling point is its small size and light weight. If that's important to you, it could be a deciding factor.

Bob

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

sdleasia wrote:

Thanks! I have a bunch of 64gb cards laying around. That linked worked great. Now I have a 64gb card installed, took a test picture, works on the PC. Will use it cautiously though. Can't format it with the camera, but I'm good with that.

Ask anyone in this forum (including, I suspect, the Canon product experts). Each will tell you that even if you have to format a card on a computer first, you should always format it again in the camera before trying to use it.

For some people, I suppose, risk is its own reward. If that applies to you, have at it. If you lose an important shoot, at least you won't have to ask why.

Bob

WOW, great fix, thank you !! channging the format did the trick.

That worked perfect. Thank you!

Dereklj
Apprentice

This Might sound obvious but i was having the same trouble, i kept putting the memory card in and i was getting the same error message but then i realised that the memory card was just an adapter to hold the micro card so i put the micro card in to the adapter and everything was fine from there

Just for the record, micro cards are not recommended.

Announcements