cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my new rebel sl1 did not come with the candlelight portrait like it is supposed to, how can i get it

npvanwey
Apprentice

I have looked on the support to download this option but can't find one that fits?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

called cannon the answer is that you cannot use live mode with the candle light so if you have live mode on it will not even show you the candle light option.. crazy .. but at least i know it is thereSmiley Happy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
See page 72 of the manual.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

My camera does not have that option under SCN, it has the other 4 options but not that one

called cannon the answer is that you cannot use live mode with the candle light so if you have live mode on it will not even show you the candle light option.. crazy .. but at least i know it is thereSmiley Happy

A related suggestion:
If you are coming into DSLR's from lighter point and shoot cameras with no viewfinder or with a small vestigial viewfinder, the habit to break is that of shooting everyday shots with the LCD screen (live view) rather than putting the viewfinder up to your eye.

Live view has its uses with a DSLR, such as macro shooting or long exposure shooting or of course video. Some others too. But for handheld walk around normal shooting it is not ideal.
The camera focuses slower in live view because it is focusing without the mirror. It may hunt for focus.
You cannot hold the camera as steady out at arms length as you can bracing it against hour face, with elbows against your body.
When you add larger lenses to your kit, the arms length style isn't even an option.
It is hard to zoom at arms length.
It is hard to see the LCD in bright sun.
It is hard to track moving things and keep the subject centered in the frame with the camera out away from your face.

Good luck with your new camera and hope you have fun.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
Live view has its uses with a DSLR, such as macro shooting or long exposure shooting or of course video. Some others too. But for handheld walk around normal shooting it is not ideal.
The camera focuses slower in live view because it is focusing without the mirror. It may hunt for focus.
You cannot hold the camera as steady out at arms length as you can bracing it against hour face, with elbows against your body.
When you add larger lenses to your kit, the arms length style isn't even an option.
It is hard to zoom at arms length.
It is hard to see the LCD in bright sun.
It is hard to track moving things and keep the subject centered in the frame with the camera out away from your face.

All of which leads to the observation that many otherwise excellent cameras fail to reach their potential for lack of an eye-level viewfinder. The advantage of most of those cameras is their compactness, but a mechanical viewfinder, as in a DSLR, sets a lower limit on both size and weight. So the viewfinder has to be electronic. But an electronic viewfinder with acceptable speed and resolution is very hard on batteries, and a larger battery adds to size and weight. So the bottom line is that despite the dramatic advances in digital camera technology over the past ten years, we still have some distance to go.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements