cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my larger lens on my eos t5 won't auto focus, help

emiimariaa
Apprentice

I have the canon eos rebel t5 and my smaller lens focuses fine but when i try to use the larger lens to take better pictures it doesnt focus at all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

" so i dont know what to do"

OK, Kido, here is what to do.  Reset the T5 to default.  Set the T5 to 'P' mode.  Lens switch in the AF position.  Go out side on a brightly lighted sunny day.  Try to focus the lens on an object about 25 or 30 feet from you.  Does it work now?  If it does, there is nothing wrong with the lens.

If not you will need to contact Canon Support but be warned this lens is not a good candidate for repair if it truly is faulty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What lens model are you having problems with?  What are you trying to focus on?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

emiimariaa
Apprentice
canon zoom lens ef 75-300mm
and anything, whether im all the way zoomed in or zoomed out it wont focus for a picture

@emiimariaa wrote:
canon zoom lens ef 75-300mm
and anything, whether im all the way zoomed in or zoomed out it wont focus for a picture

That sounds like the camera kit lens, the big one that comes with the camera in  a two lens kit.  You must observe the MFD, Minimum Focusing Distance, of the lens.  It is printed on the barrel of the lens as a "macro" distance.  The lens is difficult to use indoors in an average size room.

You need to be sure that you have sufficient light for the lens to focus.  The kit 75-300 likes lots of light.  It should perform better outdoors on a sunny day.  All but the most expensive super telephoto lenses [.>300mm ] may exhibit difficulty focusing from something up close, to switching to something far away. It should do auto focus when the change from the previous focus setting is large.

emiimariaa
Apprentice
i tried to use it from the stands at a football game during the day and it wouldnt focus then either 😕 so i dont know what to do

It sounds like you may have a bad lens.  Contact Canon U.S. support at 1-800-OK-CANON.

Is the lens switch set to AF? If so check the AF/MF switch on the lens. Click it back & forth between the AF & the MF 2 or 3 times & then set it to AF. Sometimes a switches contacts are corroded or a bit dirty & than can clean them.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

" so i dont know what to do"

OK, Kido, here is what to do.  Reset the T5 to default.  Set the T5 to 'P' mode.  Lens switch in the AF position.  Go out side on a brightly lighted sunny day.  Try to focus the lens on an object about 25 or 30 feet from you.  Does it work now?  If it does, there is nothing wrong with the lens.

If not you will need to contact Canon Support but be warned this lens is not a good candidate for repair if it truly is faulty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements