cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

macro flash

joecarquest
Apprentice

I have a canon t6. Is there a way of stoping the flash from firing in macro mode.

I shoot a lot of aquariums hate the flash on the glass.

Or should I use electral tape on it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

These are nice.  If they satisfy you, great. 

If you would like to see if there is something even better, do the exposure bracketing.

Put the black tape over the macro and green square selections on the mode dial. And, very most important shoot Raw file format and do post editing. Experiment with the suggestions given above.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Don't use macro mode. It does not really do anything. 

is there a beter mode that works

@joecarquest wrote:

is there a beter mode that works

Use "P" mode.  Macro photography is more about the lens than the exposure settings in the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Don't use macro mode. It does not really do anything."

This is good advice and true.  However, "Use P mode", is a bit simplistic.  P mode is a good all around place to start. You will also need to experiment with the ISO setting. Let's try 400 to start but be prepared to adjust it if needed.

A better but more involved way is to use Av.  This fixes the aperture of your lens.  You need to understand how DOF effects the shot but this can be a dramatic way to enhance your aquarium photos. Av allows the T6 to still measure exposure while leaving the SS automatic. Set your ISO, as it still needs to be set, but be prepared to change it if needed. Without actually seeing the aquarium I can not give exact settings.  This is where bracketing is your friend. In other words try different settings.

Most likely you don't need a flash as most aquariums have lights but again you never know until you try.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Don't use macro mode. It does not really do anything."

Without actually seeing the aquarium I can not give exact settings.  This is where bracketing is your friend. In other words try different settings.

Most likely you don't need a flash as most aquariums have lights but again you never know until you try.

Of course, Ernie is correct.  Using Av mode is better than using P, but it requires more info about the shooting conditions.  We cannot really advise on what exposure settings to use.  We do not even know what lens is being used.

I think the OP needs to learn a lot more about the camera and basic photography.  Macro photography is a specialized branch of photography.  Photographing fish in an average home aquarium does not require a macro lens.  

But, photographing fish in an aquarium may require a lens with a short MFD, Minimum Focusing Distance, so that you can bring the lens very close to the glass, which will help minimize the effects of the glass on the final captured image.

Otherwise, you will wind up backing away from the glass to the point where room reflections off of the glass could become a factor.  I suspect that this will be the case, seeing how the initial complaint is about reflections of the flash off of the glass.  

You might need a darkened room, or at least no light sources behind you, like an uncovered window, to reflect off of the glass.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I shoot this tipe of aquarium, Aquarium of the Pacfic, Birch Aquarium at Scripps, Monterey Bay Aquarium. Most places have the tanks bright and the guest areas darker. I put my camera lens up aganist the glass of the tanks to elimanate glare off the glass.DSC_5315.JPGDSC_5053.JPGscrips 150.JPG

These are nice.  If they satisfy you, great. 

If you would like to see if there is something even better, do the exposure bracketing.

Put the black tape over the macro and green square selections on the mode dial. And, very most important shoot Raw file format and do post editing. Experiment with the suggestions given above.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Or should I use electral tape on it."

Smiley Happy No don't do that but you can use that tape to cover the green square on your mode dial.  Never use that!

EB

joecarquest
Apprentice
Thanks for the great advice. I will experiment with the settings and shoot in raw mode. I will put the tape on the dial too.

Announcements