cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just got my T3i

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

Hey guys

So I just started using a Canon Rebel T3i that I just received as a gift a few weeks ago and I've never used a Canon before but I've watched many videos about it online. I also just bought a 50 mm 1.4 prime lens for it today as my primary purpose for purchasing the lens as well as the camera itself is for video shooting. I've had some time to play around with the camera for a bit, get myself used to where the basic manual mode functions are and even with the prime lens I'm having a hard time figuring out what the best way(s) are to capture video footage or even to take some photos. I've tried adjusting the shutter speed, ISO, and the F-stop but still cannot get the kind of pictures/video footage that I want. My object is my car and I'm trying to make the background a somewhat complete blur. My distance between my car and I are about 5-10 feet away. If anyone can help, that would be awesome. Thanks! 

5 REPLIES 5

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

In order to get maximum background blur you will need to shoot with the lens wide open at f/1.4

In bright daylight that will result in overexposure.  Your best remedy is to use a Neutral Density filter to reduce the amont of light entering the lens.

Wikipedia Neutral density filter 

B&H Photo  58mm ND Filters

_nd1.jpg

Mike Sowsun

so I have to use a slower shutter speed and get a neutral density filter?

No, using a slow shutter speed will let more light in. Use your fastest shutter speed, lowest ISO, and largest aperture (f/1.4)

(  1/4000 shutter speed, ISO 100, and f/1.4  )

The easiest way is to do this is to use ISO 100 and then set the camera to Av mode (aperture mode) and then set the aperture to f/1.4

The camera will then set the correct shutter speed for proper exposure.

Mike Sowsun

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Also... Increase the distance between subject and background. The farther the background from the subject, the easier it is to blur (using low focal ratio).
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

thanks to all the replies! I started a class assignment today, did everything that was listed on here, it worked for the most part (was playing around with other settings as well)

Announcements