cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intervalometer issue with T7i

msmith1
Contributor

Hi all, first time on this forum. I've read a few other posts to see if this is an issue but didn't see anything so sorry if this is a repeat question.

I recently decided to try my hand at night sky photography. Since I'm living outside of the city lights I can see the night sky very well. Watched a few youtube videos, bought an intervalometer and things went well at first. A couple of successfull nights out in tthe backyard. Last week I was shooting Cygnus with no problems, 50 2 sec exposures at 3 sec intervals then shot 25 dark frames same exposure and intervals. Pointed the camera straight up to take the flat frames and when I started the sequence the shutter opened but wouldn't close. I thought I maybe touched a button while repositioning the camera or the cold was affecting the batteries. I disconnected the intervalometer and tried to just take them manually but the same thing, shutter opens but doesnt close without pushing the shutter button again. Gave up came inside and messed with the camera a bit to see if I changed something in the dark but no matter where I have the shutter speed at it opens but won't close. Did a factory reset and it works fine again. Reset everything back to what I had and tried again (with the intervalometer) with the same results. Won't close even at 1/4000. Reset again works fine.

Could the intervalometer be messing with the electronics in the camera? Could it be the card? or do I just have a bad intervalometer? Not sure why the shutter would stay open the way it does. Here a basic run down on the settings'

shooting in RAW, manual focus, ISO @1600, Shutter on bulb, AF off on lens, mirror lock up on, long exp NR off, auto shut down off.  Any help would be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13

I didn't see how to reset it I looked. I did take the batteries out but it didn't make a difference. I'm looking at my options for a replacement. Thanks

I have used an Aodelan remote from Amazon with good results.

I like it because it has both wired and remote capabilities.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I did look at the Aodelan. One question though. When I looked at the plug size I thought the rebel used an E3 plug but everything I've looked at has a C6. Did I miss read something?

Screenshot 2020-11-29 204635.jpg

It comes with two cables. The E3 is for 7D, 1D and maybe 5D series. The pin type is for Rebel series.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements