cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i wont some stroll light which one should I buy.......

johnlewis35
Apprentice

Please help me find some stroll lights & trigger remote  I like to have some for the pros.............are home shotting thanks..........

7 REPLIES 7

Jessica
Enthusiast

Hi Johnlewis35! So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what equipment you're using.  Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue! Thanks and have a great day!

I have a canon xs I'm looking for some strobe light kit & tigger .

I use Canon 580 EX II's and they are wonderful. But they may be a little overkill for a XS. But it never hurts to get the best.

Otherwise, I also like the smaller 430EX, too. Check them out.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have no idea of what you're looking to do, or your experience with off-camera flash.  If you have no experience with it, I would start with some cheap third party pieces and see if it's something you enjoy before buying $500 flashes.  I love flash, but it’s not for everyone.  I'm a big fan of Yongnuo, but Lumopro also makes good cheap flashes.

Do you want TTL or just manual?  It's nice to have at least one eTTL flash for on-camera use, but I frequently shoot flash (probably > 80% of the time) and I usually use full manual off-camera.   Manual only flashes and triggers are much cheaper.

The 580exII is a great flash, but it is a little excessive for a beginner in flash photography.  It doesn’t matter that you’re shooting with an XS, I have no idea why that would be overkill.  The 430 is great, eTTL, and has Canon reliability.  It’s also reasonably priced.  I use it for travel since it’s smaller than the 580 but does most the same stuff.  I hate the button on it that you adjust power with, but it’s a small gripe.

I also own three Yongnuo flashes and I think they’re great for the beginner or  advanced flash photographer.  I have had zero issues with mine.  The 565EX is fully eTTL compatable.  It’s like a cheap version of the Canon 580.  I would probably recommend this one if you’re getting your first flash. 

The Yongnuo 560EX II is a terrific manual flash.  It does everything except eTTL.  When I’m at home I often grab it before my Canon 430 because I prefer the buttons for adjusting power.  They have released a III version that has radio ability to be controlled by the Yongnuo triggers (602 or 603).  That’s pretty cool, I’ve thought about getting one but I really can’t justify having 6 flashes.

And finally there’s the little Yongnuo 460EX.  It’s basic, it can’t even zoom, but if you just need a splash of power in the background it works.  I wouldn’t buy that for your first flash.

The Yongnuo triggers are the gold standard for cheap triggers.  I have the 602s, they’re dirt cheap ($25 a pair) and very reliable.  The only issue is that they don’t do TTL.  The new 622s do, but they’re a little more expensive ($80 a pair).  If you can afford it, get the 622s.

" It doesn’t matter that you’re shooting with an XS, I have no idea why that would be overkill."

Of course it makes perfect sense to put a $500 dollar flash on a $500 dollar camera! A wise person matches his equipment and not like some folks I know that will buy the most expensive camera, many 1000s of dollars, and put cheap third party glass on it.

A flash is something most pro-summers don't even need. Of course the 580 will work for him and be great but it is still over kill.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The 430EX II is an _excellent_ flash for starting out.  It's fairly powerful (not as powerful as the 580 or 600, but still pretty strong) and it's a workhorse.  

I have a lot of speedlites... my first was a 430EX II, then a 580EX II, then two 600EX-RT's and a 270EX (which I only use with a Powershot G1 X due to it's compact size ... but fully recognizing that the unit has limited coverage distance.)

Certainly the 600EX-RT system is fantastic and that's what I use most of the time.  But for someone starting out, the 430EX II is excellent ($299... but Canon has this on an instant rebate through July 6 -- making it $259.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

johnlewis35
Apprentice

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements