cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to take zoom in picture?

yidianm
Contributor

I bought T5i camera and EF-S 18-55mm lens.

each time I manually zoom in the object and try to take picture, the button doesn't work, the camera doesn't allow me to be too close to the object, what can I do?

Regards,

Mark

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority

Your lens has a minimum focusing distance of about 10 inches.  This is measured from the camera's sensor to the subject, not from the end of the lens. Are you trying to get that close?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

Your lens has a minimum focusing distance of about 10 inches.  This is measured from the camera's sensor to the subject, not from the end of the lens. Are you trying to get that close?

Scotty is correct.  If you have one of the standard camera kit lenses, then there should be something stamped on the lens that says "Macro  #.## ft / #.## m" on it.  That is the macro distance, or minimum focusing distance [MFD], for the lens. The MFD is given in feet and meters.

If your lens is in green square [A], automatic mode, then it will not allow you to take a picture until the camera has acquired and locked focus on a subject.  This can happen if you're too close.  It can also happen if you do not have sufficient light.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ScottyP
Authority

Canon forum imports (1 of 1)-2.JPGCanon forum imports (1 of 1)-4.JPG

@yidianm wrote:

I bought T5i camera and EF-S 18-55mm lens.

each time I manually zoom in the object and try to take picture, the button doesn't work, the camera doesn't allow me to be too close to the object, what can I do?

Regards,

Mark

Like this close?  For this you need either a macro lens or a cheaper alternative like extension rings.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Scott,

yes, could you recommend the exact model number len compatible to the camera mount?

thanks,

@yidianm wrote:

Scott,

yes, could you recommend the exact model number len compatible to the camera mount?

thanks,

I'm not Scott, but the answer is: Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

diverhank
Authority
I don't have the EFS 18-55 to confirm but keep in mind, many lenses will allow you to manual focus closer than the auto-focus will allow...so it doesn't hurt to switch to MF and give it a try. This is especially true with macro lenses.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thanks,

happy new year

Announcements