cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i get the best low light pictures?

itakebadpics
Apprentice

Hi All,,

How can I get good pictures in a low light venue (pool tournament) where flash is not permitted? Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Tiffany

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry! So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what equipment you're using. Any other details you'd like to give will also help the Community better understand your issue. Thanks and have a great day!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Fast glass.

The 70-200mm f2.8 II has no peers.Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Fast glass.

The 70-200mm f2.8 II has no peers.Smiley Happy

Except for any of the lenses that are faster:  24/1.4, 35/1.4, 35/2 , 50/1.2, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 85/1.2, 85/1.8, 135/2.

OP:  I’d look at the 50 f/1.4.  It’s a good lens for the price, and you’re not going to get much faster without spending a ton.  You’re not going to get in super close, without physically getting in super close, but if you want a fast lens with reach (i.e. zoomed in) you’re going to have to pay for it.  Note, all the above are prime lenses, no zoom function.  Primes are going to get you sharp pictures for less cost than a zoom, but the tradeoff is no zoom flexibility.  If you want more reach perhaps the 135/2 or 200/2.8 are options.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Second choice for a Rebel and not so costly, not quite as good but very good in it's own right, is the

Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EX DC APO OS.

For a swim meet I would not recommend primes. Unless you like to move about a lot!Smiley Wink

EB

I assume he meant pool as in billiards, not swimming.  Still, your point stands, obviously a zoom affords much more flexibility.  But if you need pure speed and don't have a fortune to spend, primes can be great.

itakebadpics
Apprentice

I have a:

Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm IS Lens

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens

Neither of those lenses are considered "fast" glass. If you are not in a position to purchase a faster lens, you need to kick the ISO. This will increase the noise in your photographs, so practice with the higher settings and see what is acceptable to you.

I would try 800 and 1600 but avoid 3200. Remember each doubling of the ISO number is one stop.

Take a look at the professional level Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EX DC HSM OS zoom lens. Not only is it a stop or two faster than your glass, it is a constant f2.8. It is truly a fantastic lens.

EB

Thanks for all the help but those lenses are out of my price range. I'll try increasing the ISO....

The EF 50mm f/1.8 is the least expensive lens in Canon's lineup... even your kit lens is more expensive. The 50 f/1.8 usually retails for about $125 and you could find a used one for even less.

It's optical quality is actually quite good and not listed among the lens' weaknesses. It's weakness is that it is designed to be the most affordable lens in the line-up. That means it doesn't have a particularly fast focus motor. It's also a bit noisier that most lenses as it focuses. It only has a 5-blade aperture which means the out-of-focus quality (aka "bokeh") has a bit of a "nervous" or "jittery" quality (the f/1.4 and f/1.2L versions of the 50mm are much much better at this.) The f/1.4 version isn't too pricey (I think the street price is about $350-400... but it has a USM focusing motor, better build quality, 8-blade aperture, etc.) HOWEVER... the image quality (aside from the out-of-focus character) is just as good.

This assumes you're able to be close enough to the game that you need nothing longer than 50mm focal length.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements