cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flock of birds-blurry mess

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz
I was recording a movie of a flock of birds in my front yard.
It was a cloudy day and I was recording in auto mode at 24fps.
If I understand it correctly, movies don't record EXIF data, so I don't know what my exposure settings were.
The flock took off from the ground and the result was a blurry mess.
If I had been in manual mode, what would your suggestions be for exposure settings?
I haven't tried shooting movies in manual mode before.

If I had recorded at 1/400ths of a second or so, would I have wound up with a slow motion film?

Steve Thomas

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Frame rate and shutter speed are two separate settings, which are joined at the hip.  

Probably the main reason why EXIF is limited in Move Mode is you are shooting dozens of still images per second.  That would be a lot of metadata, to sort through and assign to each frame of video.  Try shooting s still before and/or after recording.

As for your flock of birds bein a "blurry mes" goes, that is probably normal motion blur associated with shooting at a 180 degree shutter angle.  In other words, using a shutter speed that is twice the frame rate.

Cranking up the shutter speed can eliminate motion blur, which is sometimes done for cinematic effect.  One of the best examples of using a very fast shutter speed when filming is the beach landing scene in the opening of "Saving Private Ryan".  The entire sequence has a surreal look to it.  Due to the high shutter speed, you can clearly see small bits of debris flying through the air, instead of being lost in motion blur due a slower shutter speed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Steve,

Welcome back.

Did you end up buying the T8i?

Is this the camera you are talking about here?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Re: flock of birds-blurry mess[ New ]

Hi Steve,

Welcome back.

Did you end up buying the T8i?

Is this the camera you are talking about here?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

Rick,

Thank you. Yes, I did. For me, it came down to a choice between an SL3 and the T8i, and I chose the T8i. It takes really good pictures with the 55-250 STM lens that I have.
I like it a lot, and am now learning the various controls, etc.

In talking with some other people, I think the best I could do in this circunstance would be to bunp the frame rate up to 60fps in video mode or shoot in continuous mode with a high shutter speed (anywhere from 1/400 to 1/1,000).
I had digital zoom turned on, and learned that you're limited to either 24fps or 30fps with that choice.

Steve

Do not expect image quality of single 2 MP frames of video to match the detail and resolution of 24 MP still photos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements