cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filters for sony NEX-5N work for my t3i?

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

Hey guys,

The first DSLR equivalent camera I ever used was my mom's Sony NEX-5N but I don't use it anymore now since I have my T3i. However, the package that she bought from amazon came with three filters and in the past, I honestly didn't know what the heck those were for (I just got into filters within this past half year and now have two of them, one for my 17-55 and one for my 18-55). Now that I know, she has three different kind of filters that came with the NEX (not sure if they're UV or actually colored filters) and I'm wondering if they'll fit on my 18-55. Does anyone here own a Sony NEX and a Canon with the same lens by any chance and can help me with this? I'm going to play around with it today after I get back home from work but I figured I'd ask first and see if anyone knows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 🙂

17 REPLIES 17

To a first approximation, if the filter's threads match those on the lens, the filter will work. (Whether you want or need the resulting effect is probably outside the scope of this discussion.) Some wide-angle lenses need filters with extra-thin rings to minimize vignetting, but it's unlikely that you have any such lenses.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I dont mind the vignetting actually, I could put it to some sort of good use 🙂  I tend to add a lot of vignetting to most of my photos, for some reason it makes the picture look better in my personal opinion. yeah I'll try to put it on my 18-55 after I get home. If it works, I'll be stoked haha! 

" I tend to add a lot of vignetting to most of my photos, ..."

This implies you do post editing?  That is where filters need tp be added.  They are no longer required on the lens.

A case can be made for a polarizer and a ND but not for much else.  DSLR's do not suffer fron UV but you can use a UV as a protector filter.

The kits that Amazon sells, and others, are largely junk and pretty useless, sorry but they are.  Although, Amazon does have good retailers, too, the packages are not one of them.  I prefer to use stores that are well know for high quality service and products.  A local camera shop, B&H, Adorama, Best Buy and more.  IMHO, as always.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

no worries, thanks for info haha 🙂 yeah I'm working on my post editing skills now since I take a broad range of the same picture, difference being super bright and super dark shots (not HDR however, I rarely use my tripod). The reason why I never use presets is because sometimes I want to use two presets but after selecting the first preset, the second preset goes away so I was hoping to use a colored filter or something first before I go into the post editing process. I use Lightroom as my primary editing program and don't use Photoshop. 

Presets?  Presets?  We don't need no stickin' presets!  Smiley Frustrated  Do your own.  You can apply an almost unlimited amout of "editing" in LR.  There really isn't a filter or filter combination that can't be done in LR along with PS.  Actually you can do more!  Althoug Bob from Boston puts cucumber slices over his eyes when he sees me say it, this is the way it is.  Post is where its at, man.

Presets are for the guys in a hurry and not wanting to spend any time on a picture.

EB

O_o how do you change the color of the picture without using a preset? Is it possible to only make a small portion of the picture black and white and leave my main subject of the picture in color? 

Like this?  Smiley Happy

photoshop-selective-coloring-effect.jpg

This is very easy and PS makes it easier. It is one of the first things you lean to do when you learn PS.  It involves making and using masks and layers.  I suggest you get a book on how to use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

This would be difficult for you to reproduce with filters on a DSLR.

EB

ooooh ok I know how to do that in photoshop haha I'm just wondering if there was a way to do that in Lightroom as well (thought not the black and white portion XD). 

You could do it it LR but it would be a lot more tedious and harder.  Maybe not even as good.  But you ain't gonna do it with presets!

EB
Announcements