cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fake or genuine

Deepuvaru
Apprentice

hai i am Deepu from india...

i recently brought a canon 700d from flipkart...

so how can i know my product is whether genuine or fake...

plz help me out

thank u in advance

8 REPLIES 8

theandies
Enthusiast

Was it brand new?  My guess would be to check if it has a serial number that can be looked up on the offical Canon web-site.  Not sure where the SN would be on a 700d but the SN on my Rebel T6i is on the sticker on the bottom of the body.

@theandies wrote:

Was it brand new?  My guess would be to check if it has a serial number that can be looked up on the offical Canon web-site.  Not sure where the SN would be on a 700d but the SN on my Rebel T6i is on the sticker on the bottom of the body.

Really? The SN should be etched somewhere on the camera body. It may be on a sticker as well, but a sticker can hardly be considered reliable.

I brlieve that on every Canon DSLR I've owned, the SN is also included in the Exif data. That should be harder to forge than even an etched number.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@theandies wrote:

Really? The SN should be etched somewhere on the camera body. It may be on a sticker as well, but a sticker can hardly be considered reliable.

I brlieve that on every Canon DSLR I've owned, the SN is also included in the Exif data. That should be harder to forge than even an etched number.

If it is etched on the body of my T6i I can't find it.  It is listed in the Exif data though.

It isn't on the bottom?  I bet it is.  I have never seen a Canon DSLR that it wasn't there.

eos1-2-1.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It isn't on the bottom?  I bet it is.  I have never seen a Canon DSLR that it wasn't there.

eos1-2-1.jpg

If you are replying to my post then yes I have that on the bottom of my T6i and it is a sticker not etched. 

Yes I was repling to your post.  I don't have T6i but it is etched, or stamped into, on all my 1 series cameras. It is not on a sticker.  Canon must have gotten away from the etched, stamped on, number on the newer models.

EB

I like to place a small piece of clear box tape on top of the serial number stickers of the equipment that I purchase.  It does an excellent job in protecting them.  It's especially useful on the bottom of laptops with a Windows sticker.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have never heard of a real Canon DSLR fake or counterfeit.  I know there are some cameras floating around that have Canon stamped on them but they are obviously not the real deal.  Anybody can tell.  There are lots of fake accessories for camera that are very close.  Very hard to tell the real one from the fake.

One good indication is, how much did you pay for it?  If it was a deal too good the be true, you have a fake.  Plain and simple.

There are a few Nikons that somebody has rebranded as higher models by replacing the name plate.  But they are real Nikons in the first place.  They would fool a lot of people.

EB
Announcements