cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extend range

quintr0
Contributor

i have a canon t1i rebel with a 300 tamron lens i use for birding what is the best way to extend my range so i can take pictures of hawks? i do everthing on automatic.

13 REPLIES 13

Skirball
Authority

There isn't a good way, that doesn't cost money.

Getting more reach, with good picture quality, has always been the lust of many photographers.  For most it remains a dream, others hand over large sums of money (thousands, to tens of thousands).  As an aside, it's probably the one element of photography that hasn't really changed over the years.  Everything else has gotten cheaper, quicker, easier, better quality.  But getting good long lenses is still just plain expensive.

You could get a cheap-ish longer lens.  I can't recommend any that cost much under $1000, but I'm sure some exist.  Sigma has a 150-500 that costs a hair under $1000, and Tamron makes a 150-600 that is a bit over that mark.  Going to a name brand like Canon and you can put another zero on there.

There are also extenders, a 1.4x and a 2x, but they come with severe penalties.  First they cut out half the light, which can lead to autofocus problems (if your camera can autofocus at all with an extender on).  And they can have significant impact on the image quality.

In summary: there is no perfect answer.  And everybody has their own opinion on what is satisfactory image quality and performance.  Maybe you'd be happy with a cheap telephoto, maybe you'd be happy with a mid-range one.  Maybe you'd be happy with an extender (I seriously doubt it).  But most the people who are going to give you an opinion on here have a pretty high bar when it comes to these things.  Most of us have many, many thousands invested in our cameras already.  So just keep in mind who is giving you advice.

thank you all for sound advice, being a novice it sure is good to have some handy help before shelling out a fistfull o dollars

would a 500 mm mirror lens work, got it for free,need an adapter. the adapter is a vivitarf/8 manual focus?

Mirror lenses are pretty awful. Google donut bokeh. All the out of focus highlights show up as little ghostly Cheerios. Very distracting.

Also any adaptor would probably kill autofocus so you'd be trying to focus manually.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Mirror lenses are cheap -- these are "catadioptric" lenses and use Schmidt-Cassegrain type optics.

The lens has a front corrector with a central obstruction.  The back of the lens has a spherical "primary" mirror.  The central obstruction holds a secondary mirror and this bounces the light forward into the camera.

There usually is no aperture control.

The central-obstruction may cause a "reverse vignetting" effect because while the camera cant focus on the central obstruction, in bright light it will tend to slightly dim the central area of the image.

Anything out of focus will de-focus in the shape of the clear part of the aperture... which is actually "donut" shaped -- which creates a reallly wonky (awful) "bokeh" effect.

The lenses typically use a t-mount and require a camera-specific mount adapter (aka "t-ring").

They are cheap because they typically have no electronics of any kind, no aperture control, and just a manual focus (which moves the primary mirror forward or backward to focus.)

The adapter you need should most likely be "T-Mount to Canon EOS" mount.  It's just a ring that has the bayonet type mount of the camera facing side... and the t-threads on the lens-facing side.  It'll probably cost $10-15.

The attracitve thing about these lenses is that it's a VERY affordable way to get a very high focal length lens.  But the downside is that there's no electronics, no auto-focus, no aperture, and you wont like the quality of the out of focus areas.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

once again thanks for the help, looks like i will be saving up my pennies for a tamron or like lens.

Nix the tele converter idea.  Also nix the mirror lens thought.  Absolutely the best buy in a super telephoto right now is the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM.  It has a $200 rebate and makes it cost $869.  Excepth for 500mm vs 600mm it is as good as the Tamron 150-600mm which nearly $1100.

I have both but very much prefer the Sigma.

_D4_8600.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

who did you purchase the sigma from,and will it work on the fully automatic setting? thanks

The fully automatic part is handled by your camera.  The lens just does what it is told to.  So, yes, it can be fully automatic.

You can get it from either of these fine retailers. Adorama  or B&H Photo <click either.

I got mine form B&H Photo.  I bought the big Tamron here locally because I wanted to try it first.  We have a nice camera store, Overland Photo Supply, and they let me play with it and try it before I bought it.  There has been some negative reports associated with the Tammy. My copy is fine.

Keep in mind, for birding, you really need 500mm or more.  The more the better, otherwise you have to get very close.  And in fact that is the choice, get closer or go bigger!  Most folks mistakenly think a telephoto lens is for taking pictures of stuff a long, long way away.  Of course that do that but there real job it to fill the frame with the subject.  And that usually involves getting closer.  I was probably 25+/- feet from the titmouse.  Smiley Happy  You will love the Siggy but be warned there is a learning curve for using a 500mm super telephoto.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements